Temperature diode readings accurate?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Temperature diode readings accurate?

Temperature diode readings accurate?

Not wanting to weave the thermal diode cable through the pins of my Celeron to stick the sensor to the base of the CPU, this is what I came up with:
    To stick it under the metal clip of the original Intel heatsink (so it's being held down by the clip in the middle of the heatsink).

Now, i'm getting temperature readings of like 27-28C for this sensor, even though the system temperature is at 32C.

Is it just me, or isn't the CPU meant to be the same as or hotter than the overall system temperature? What am I doing wrong?
    E-mail: tong_james@hotmail.com

Sterling_Aug Guest
    What motherboard are you using?

Most boards show the system temp when in fact they should be calling it case temp. You are trying to add a thermister to the outside of your heatsink which will always be way cooler than the internal thermal diode reading (which your motherboard may not even have).

Too many people put extreme importance into know exactly the temperatures of every component in their system. After they break something during the probe installation, then they want to know what they did wrong.

Temp info is nice to know but at the same time it is TOTALLY worthless. If your system boots and runs stable for long periods of time, then your temps are within the liimits of the processor. If the system will not boot or hangs after a short period of time, then the temps are above the limits of that individual processor (although another similar processor may work fine at that temp).

The bottom line is, If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Spend your time worry about what else you can do to your system to make it run faster or more stable and forget about the temps.

Thread Information