o/c pII 400
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: o/c pII 400

o/c pII 400

when I try to overclock my pII 400 to 450 the monitor doesn't come on. This is on a Compaq presario 4880. Is it because it's a proprietary POS? should that have anything to do with it?

Thanx

Depending on when the PII400 was made, it`s probably multiplier locked and that is your problem.

I have a PII400 that isn`t locked and was able to run@450 but, it was purchased in May `97.

hehe, do you mean May of '98? i don't think the p2 400 was available until the beginning of 98... 'course, i could always be wrong

anyways, when i run into heat problems, the monitor usually goes into power save mode (no signal from puter)... see if you can figure out a way to get rid of the heat better...

if you're trying to OC a compaq presario (stock from the company), then you will probably need to get a new motherboard (and if you want to OC a lot, you'll prob. want to get a better heatsink / fan)

good luck!!!

------------------
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

The most I ever got was 448Mhz (FSB 112).
    The next setting I have is FSB 120 and it wont boot.

How are you changing the Mhz?

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

The later PII 400 were pretty good for o/cing. I got mine around last August and I got up to 560 MHz, but that was with an Alpha and peltier. But I also got to 500 MHz with just generic dual fan heatsink (but I remove the casing and the heat transfer plate also).

From what i have seen, a lot of Compaq Presario's have only a passive heatsink on the cpu and NO fan. So screw that case open and see if you can add better cooling.

------------------
    Packard Bell forever...in hell !!!
    We came from the stars so they say, now it's time to go back. If I was conceived today, I would not get beyond eight cells, and yet here I am. In a way they were right, I don't have the heart for this world.

The question is, why am I having so much trouble dying?

Im running a P2-350@490 and its happy I think that the P2 will have a job getting over 500 because of the core limitations ....it can be done but I think around 500 is there top.
    "You missed it was the lag!"

well... i'm overclockin' it with the motherboard... umm... can't remember the date i got it... it was right when the pII 400's came out tho... I had like the best computer you could buy at the time...

Thread Information