K6-233 keeps overheating?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: K6-233 keeps overheating?

K6-233 keeps overheating?

In my parents PC I have a AMD K6-233 with an ASUS TX97 mobo, simple S3 card, SB64 ISA, and a Maxtor 4.3GB Barefoot HD. Oh and 36X rom. Anyways Windows keeps on haulting on thier machine. I suspect it's a heating problem so I stick 2 50mm fans stacks on eachother, mated with a big heatsink to take care of the problem. Plus I have 2 blowers that occupy epty slots in the rear. I plan top buy a cheap $20 HD fan to suck are into the front of the case. It never gave me this problem when it was my computer...

Of course the CPU would idle at 55 degrees celsius and reach as high as 70 before it crashes. Should I opt for an ALPHA?

You can proverbially fry eggs on K6-233's....
    Although I never had any heat problems with mine and the fan wasn't anything special. May just need to reinstall windows... it tends to get f**ked up

Tuxy, you can run a k63-400 on that mobo! If the voltage regulator is a HIP6008 you should be able to! I have a chart (thanks to JAMIE REID from here in H/C) which gives the jumper settings for the right CPU voltage! PLUS you should have DIMMS, I only have SIMMs on my ASUS VX97! I am running the k63-400@450 and it never gets hot in even the slightest amount! << I'll be the first to admit though, this chip would be faster on a super7 >> My next new toy ........ hehehehe

IF you want more info: email

robsteph@irtc.net

------------------
    You don't know the POWER of the dark side....

I must obey my master!

grasshopper

All I know about a K6 it DON'T supmerse them in hot water...tends to make them stupid!!

------------------
    Proud Owner Of An AMD K6-2\400@504 MEGAWHOPPERS
    P2-350@466<133FSB>|64MB Dram
    13Gig Quantum 7200
    CL 8X Rom|CL AWE 64 Gold
    Voodoo 3 3000 166@205mhz

WHOAH!!! I gotta update my sig. IT's been a long time since I've posted on HWC

------------------
    Proud Owner Of A P2 350@466MHZ [133x3.5] 1.97V core. WOW MAN!!
    P2-350@466<133FSB>|64MB Dram
    13Gig Quantum 7200
    CL 8X Rom|CL AWE 64 Gold
    Voodoo 3 3000 166@205mhz

AMD K6 233 have max Watts at 13,5 which is
    not very high compared to the latest AMD's
    K6-2 which runs at around 28,5 Watts.
    So you should not face any problems with overheating unless you have a really small
    tiny cooler, also taken into consideration
    the max. temperature limits for mentioned.
    However, from my experience, the AMD's have
    a lot more failures compared to Intel's.
    So, for your computer, it's not likely that
    your problem is overheating !
    If your're sure that Windows run OK,
    and you have a change to borrow a cpu and
    memory for testing purposes only, try first
    to change the memory, secondly to change
    the CPU. (And of course I'm convinced that
    you ensure that the computer is not infected
    by any virus prior to mentioned tests)

Řystein

I can't format the PC yet cause my parents won't let me. I have a big heatsink and 2 50mm fans stacked ontop of eachother. I have enuf fans in there. It has to be windows. I only have WIN98a on it. I'm gonna install 98SE when I get the chance.

yes I have SDRAM, 96Megs. There's no point for me to upgrade because I'm gonna give my parents my PC when I buy my new one.

[This message has been edited by Tuxy (edited 04-07-2000).]

never underestimate the power of the dark side...hahaha...windows may be the prob there...recently one of my friends had prob with lockups and faults on a system he hadn't modified{software or hardware} since nov of last. then all a sudden 'bam' windows doesn't want to. so he tells me he reinstalled windo and alls well. he thought it was ram prob, he got 256M 2x128M pc100, but decided to try the lazy way, reinstall...hehehe... lazy way. why think if you don't have to? haahahah

I may be wrong, but everytime I have STACKED fans, they did not cool as good! Try to stagger them side by side! I may work better, but then again it may not! I have a h/s from an old IBM that is about 3x6 with a slot in it for the ISA slot beside the cpu! It has 2 fans on it. It keeps the 200 cool even though it is running at 3.2V and only wants 2.8! Hasn't crashed yet!

As far as windows goes, I have generally had good luck with windows. It is the uncertified drivers that crash my older system! The 200 above has absolutely no unnecessary JUNK running. I shutsdown in about 1.5-2 seconds (win95)! My win98 machine just got a shot of LINUX! Soon to be bye-bye windows!

------------------
    Damn you..... you killed my teacher....

grasshopper

install rain it really work for me i have k6-3 450mhz at 55-60c but i install rain it si now 40c only i really work
    Rain 2.0 give it a try

Thread Information