Upgrade advice please!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Upgrade advice please!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    150

    Upgrade advice please!

    OK, I know this is the wrong forum but everyone seems to hang out here so....

    I'm looking at spending around 200 on an upgrade. My current specs:

    PIII 450@600
    Asus P3V4X
    Viper V770 vanilla
    128 MB PC100 (will do 124)
    13.6 GB Quantum Fireball Plus KA
    plus the usual CDROM etc..

    I either want to get 256MB of PC133 from Crucial to replace or add to my PC100, or get another Fireball and convert a Promise ATA66 to RAID. What'cha think? Which would be best/any other suggestions?

    Any help much appreciated!


    [never could spell]

    [This message has been edited by Final Cut (edited 04-07-2000).]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Troy, NY (12180)
    Posts
    1,714
    why don't you get a promise66, another hard drive (same type)... sell your ram, get 128mb of pc133 and get a geforce sdr?

    hehe, or you could splurge on a 21" mon

    ------------------
    Sub-zero project status: working on v0.03 - Slot A enclosure design
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

    The Overclockers Network

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Posts
    960
    I agree with Machupo's suggestions.
    But then Final Cut, if the RAM will only do 124, then how is your PIII@ 600?
    That wouldmean its only @ 558.

    ------------------
    Please don't provoke the poor people..........
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Cardiff, Wales
    Posts
    150
    You can run your RAM asyncronously (spelling?) on a P3V4X, so while the FSB is at 133, the RAM is at 100. That's why I want PC133 cos I'm sure running the RAM slower is a bit of a bottleneck...Also RAM prices seem to be slowly creeping back up so maybe I sould get some now?

    Was thinking about getting GeForce but don't you think it would be better to wait a bit for 3DFX & nVidia's new offerings?

    Damn I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Troy, NY (12180)
    Posts
    1,714
    well, you could wait... and spend all 200 on a single vid card (that's how much the new ones are going to cost)...

    i'd go with the all-around upgrade (filesystem, vid, ram)

    ------------------
    Sub-zero project status: working on v0.03 - Slot A enclosure design
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

    The Overclockers Network

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •