too much thermal compound?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: too much thermal compound?

too much thermal compound?

put a dime sized amount on my cpu before installing my golden orb. Since the orb locks down into position it squeezed out any excess. Could too much thermal compound impede cooling in any way?

Secondly, how would one know if their thermistor is broken? I'm getting readings of like 49 degrees celsius on my cpu, which just ain't right.

Did ya lap your CPU? That always helps. Use as little heatsink compound as possible. Also, I thought the orbs already had heatsink compound applied to them? I heard it was really good stuff and to go ahead and use that.

Heatsink compound fills in the gaps between the CPU surface and the heatsink. The best thing to do is not have gaps in the first place. That is why you should lap your processor, and if you have already cleaned the back of your orb, then lap it too.

ryan
    PS- A tip on lapping... If your CPU is a constant color all the way down, then get a permanent marker and mark over the entire surface that will be in contact with your sink. Then sand with a rigid sanding block/surface until all the color is gone.

------------------
    Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away...
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

Have not lapped the CPU. I read the same thing about the Orb's native compound, but then saw reviews where the AOS HTC compound smoked everything. So just used some rubbing alcohol, cleaned both surfaces and applied that instead.

I'm having concerns that the temperature monitoring on my mobo/cpu is screwed...so I maybe taking this CPU back...my hardware monitor readings keep jumping around...if the cpu is screwed then obviously I don't want to make anymore alterations to it so that I can get a replacement.

Good call. Don't know what to tell you about temp monitoring. Don't know much about that. Good luck, and lap the heck out of those orbs.

Ryan

------------------
    Tried to save myself but myself keeps slipping away...
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

Could be your Mobo bios, which is messing up your cpu temps/ happens all the time. What board do you have/ and version of bios??

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

asus p3v4x, revision 1003 [the latest]

someone suggested in email that I may have pushed the temperature monitor out from underneath the cpu. I don't even understand this. Can anyone explain?

Thread Information