oc pimps please help out someone trying to learn here
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: oc pimps please help out someone trying to learn here

oc pimps please help out someone trying to learn here

1. I have a 47cfm high rpm Panasonic 80mm fan on the bottom front of my case sucking air in. If I wanted to put in a 120mm fan instead, how would I alter the case in order to be able to do this? Not too familiar with machine shop techniques. Does anyone have the YS-Tech or Sunon 120mm fans? How do they compare to each other?

2. How can I cut out obstructions in fan flow? The case I have has built in grills for the intake and output case fans, but they cover up too much air flow. Tin snips or something? Need a procedure to circumcize my case please

3. I've heard that fan noise can be reduced by raising the fan off the case. How would you do this? Using rubber washers?

4. What other noise reduction techniques do you guys know of? I've seen the dynamat thing referred to often...any effective techniques that do not greatly reduce air flow would be appreciated.

5. How often should thermal compound be reapplied, if ever? I use the AOS HTC compound.

6. If my panasonic fans are running off 3 pin connectors instead of the 4pin connectors, am I losing a lot of airflow/rpm?

7. I think my monitoring program is fakt. I'm getting readouts of 20-29 degrees celsius on my CPU but my mobo is reading like 50 degrees when the comp's been running for a while. Is my thermistor fakt or just the program I'm using? I'm using hardware sensors monitor pro, which seems to be getting good reviews. I can't find the temperature monitoring stuff in Sandra 2K pro. Rain seems outdated, Waterfall doesn't seem to like my system, help please? I don't get crashes so I don't think my system is as hot as the monitor would indicate, or maybe it's just configured improperly.

PLEASE help me out here with any techniques or tips you got. Your patience and advice is appreciated in advance.

Oh yeah, can I replace the internal fan in my power supply with the 80mm panasonic high power one I've got?

Three-pin connectors are fine and allow RPM monitoring. I would not rec. connecting fans that draw over 3 watts to your Mobo's three-pin fan headers. As for modifying your case, it really depends on what it looks like to start with. Do you know any commercial electricians? or if you have a GOOD rental yard in your area try to get a hold of a greenlee hydraulic knockout cutter. It will punch clean, round holes from 3/4" up to around 6" in dia. in sheet metal.
    Failing that, drilling multiple holes in a pattern to match fan size works. As for removing the existing built-in "grills" a thin cut-off wheel on a dremel tool should work well ( you will need to remove or really well cover your components). Tin snips will work but it will really be ugly.

At this time the YS Tech 120mm fan is boss, more airflow, a little less noise.

Yes, rubber or fiber washers could help reduce the transfer of fan vibration to the case lowering (a little) overall noise.

Careful cable routing/component placement can greatly reduce obstructions to airflow ("dead spots").

------------------
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

The fan may work in your PS open it up and make sure the stock fan is not 110v.

------------------

i used a Dremel tool to cut a 5" circle in the front of my case... loud as friggin' hell though.. those YS Tech 131.5cfm fans are screamers!!! now i only wish my gf was

------------------
    Sub-zero project status: working on v0.03 - Slot A enclosure design
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Maxout : First off, thanks for your reply.

The Panasonic fans don't support monitoring, and suck up more power than 3v. Order the 3pin-4pin passthroughs it is, then.

My case is a FutureCom Feel 808. http://www.wickedpc.com/reviews/futurecomfeeliii808/

As for cutting tools, a simple [cheap] solution is what I'm after. The outtake fan hole will be covered by a grill so if there is some unevenness in the hole cut it would really be visible [besides, no one's looking there anyways]. Intake fan is covered by the front bezel so again not really a consideration. Just will have to be careful such that it's not too sharp around the edges when working with the case off. Or I guess I could just file it down. Do you agree?

As for cables I have them all organized and bunched together, pressed up against the mobo side of the case, with absolutely nothing in the way of the intake fan and the CPU. All the cards in my comp are at the bottom to further reduce obstruction.

Just cracked open my case. A 120mm won't fit in there, period. It will obstruct with how the bezel hinges on. I'm sure I could find a solution but right now I don't care. I think I'm going to cut out the obstructions first and see how much that improves airflow [gotta be a lot, I suspect]. Then get 4pin convertors for the Panasonic's I've got going, because they're probably underpowered.

Sound is the second biggest issue to me, the Panasonics are powerful but run at 38dba. I'm getting used to the sound but would love it to be whisper quiet. So I'm going to try and absorb some of the noise by putting rubber washers or mouse pad cutouts in between the fans and the case. Also look into slapping some dynamats on the sides of the case or some carpeting as I've seen done in low cost solutions. I think it may be a futile effort to try and make these quiet if the fans themselves are the ones responsible for much of the noise. The PS fan is barely noticeable [same goes for the Orb fan I have going] after I unplugged the panasonics. Going to chop off the obstruction on the power supply fan too. Thought about opening up the power supply case but it looks like it's permanent [not sure].

Thread Information