< Need SCSI Tutor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: < Need SCSI Tutor

< Need SCSI Tutor

OK/ I've been thinking about going over to scsi... 1st question/ Can you overclock well with the drives/ particular brand/model to get? Advantages to scsi?? I know nothing of it, Please guide my tired azz thru this.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

From what I have heard, SCSI OC's better than IDE. I would go with IBM, Quantum, Seagate, or WD. Companies that make good IDE drives typically make good SCSI drives. The IBM drives are great, and there are good auctions for Ultra wide drives, and Ultra2 IBM drives on Egghead.com lately. Be sure and get the highest RPM you can afford, even if it means going with ultra wide instead of ultra2. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Ryan

------------------
    Ack!!! My molecule's have lost their cohesion... Quick, turn off that fan!

Or in Jive, if you prefer:

Ack! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on! Mah' molecule's gots lost deir cohesion. 'S coo', bro... Quick, turn off dat fan! Right on!
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

Higher RPM's mean more stability.
    Big Lar, you will be needing a SCSI card with that.
    get this one, you won't regret, although it's pricey.

here is the link http://www.adaptec.com/products/over...csi3950u2.html

Thanx RG and Salt What else do I need? I'll probably trade for the actual drive.... Cables? termination thingys??? &lt; heard about them...lol

------------------

I run an Adaptec 2930U Lar.
    I use it for 2 4x4x16 Yamaha CDRW drives.
    I had read that devices on the same channel can transfer data between each other with minimal cpu utilization. It helped me make solid 4x dupes. Before sometimes it would work from cd to cd other times it wouldn't. I used to get real religeous about burning cd's, you know saying a prayer and walking away from the computer, but now I burn at 4x and still use the computer for other stuff. Only thing I have not tried is playing a game during a burn. I think it problably would work, as I have used MAME before while burning.
    BTW 2930u was 99 bucks.
    Hope this helps.
    Those who know DO, Those that dont know TEACH

Lar-

Your cables and termination will depend on what kind of drive connection you get... Here is the rub:

Be sure and get a cable with the correct number of pins. For instance, if you have an ultra wide (40 MB/s) you will need to get a 68 pin cable. Always get cables with an extra attachment at the end for a terminator. If you get an Ultra2 or Ultra160 drive, you will need an LVD cable and terminator, also 68 pin. I could go on, but it gets pretty detailed. The best thing you could do is get a SCSI card in a kit. They come with cables and terminators. Look for an Adaptec 2940UW retail box. It should come with cables and terminators. Post or e-mail with more questions.

Ryan

------------------

Ack! Preach it loud, bruddah!! Right on! Mah' molecule's gots lost deir cohesion. 'S coo', bro... Quick, turn off dat fan! Right on!

I'll start checking around the local shops, and maybe Best Buy too?? I'll update what I find, and maybe you guys can guide me/ thanx for the knowledge

------------------

they usually give u cables when u buy your hdd and sometime with the SCSI card.
    my mobo has onboard scsi so i got 2 fast scsi cables and 1 u/w cable.

so u really don't have to worry about that.
    if u r unsure then just quote the drive u bought and the scsi card u have and the store should be able to give u the right one.

most scsi cards have their own bios nad set themselves up no troubles
    all u'll have to do for the hdd is set it to boot scsi 1st in your bios.

but yes its true that scsi is more overclockable/stable than ide drives.

now the only hard part is deciding which scsi card is right for what u want to do

eg u don't need a 160mb/s card for running cdroms or cdrws hehe.....just a waste of money there

brandwise, rgwalt is right....seagate, quantum and ibm all make good drives (i have a seagate)

Proline is also right about SCSI using alot less cpu than ide.
    the controller on the card does all the processing (such as tellin where to send data etc) and not the cpu

the only real advice i have for u is to stick with Adaptec for SCSI. great products and technical support.

Please follow my directions very carefully for an unbelievably cost effective SCSI system. I'm assuming that you're getting rid of everything that's IDE.

Adaptec AHA-2940UW Pro SCSI Controller Card
    Seagate Cheetah or Baracuda 9.1 (How many do you need)?
    Plextor UltraPlex 40Max
    Plextor PlexWrtier 8/2/20 or 12/4/32

Overclocking is great... adds stability to your system and you don't have to worry about the drives.

All of this on: ONE IRQ
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

damn u toolbox
    i was just about to add that in then.

the exact same specs

Go with toolbox's recommendations. He specd it out well. Get the 7200 RMP version of one of those drives, and get the one with the lowest seek time and largest buffer you can afford.

Ryan

------------------

Sorry, I was first to be the smartest!

I gave you two choices of hard drives... the Barracuda is a 7,200 rpm that requires minimal cooling. The Cheetah is a 10,025 rpm that requires one of those well made hard drive coolers. They do get hot but, you'll understand what 10,025 rpm is when you finally have your OS installed in it.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I've got the hard drive cooler anyhow/lol whats the plex writer stuff about?

------------------

Fact is/ I am building a completely different system/ but with my mobo I use now, ( be6-2 ), and my P3 650. I will only have a dvd rom/ and a floppy?? or Ls120... Can I run the LS 120 in a scsi system?? Anyhow/ thats all that will be in there, other than 1 scsi drive..... agp/ etc... sound normal??

------------------

Do you already have the DVD drive? I don't know about the super disk drive in a scsi version... Won't matter anyway. There are SCSI DVD drives, if you are interested.

Ryan
    PS- Go with the 10K RPM drive.

------------------

Thread Information