Celey 366 to 550
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Celey 366 to 550

Hybrid View

Celey 366 to 550

How tough is it to get a celeron 366 to 550 MHz? Is it a pretty easy OC, or might it need some serious cooling (more than just an Alpha heatsink and good fan). What about a 400 to 600?

Ryan

------------------
    Ack!!! My molecule's have lost their cohesion... Quick, turn off that fan!
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

366 to 550mhz, 9 out of 10 people can do it, but cooler is better. No serious cooling is needed. Just pick up a FEP or so for moderate cooling.

Cool, thanks. Any experience taking a 500 MHz Celey up? Anyone?

------------------

You can overclock a Celeron 500 of course but it won't be as dramatic as the 366 getting almost 200 MHz more than listed.

The next best overclocker is the Pentium III 550. That one also overclocks to about 200 MHz above spec.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks Toolbox. Any idea of what I could expect using a BP6 MoBo on a Celey 500? Would I have troubles getting to an acceptable AGP and/or PCI divider?

I guess I am wondering if it will be worth the extra money to get two higher speed processors (like 500's) rather than the 366. Thanks.

Ryan

------------------

Hey rgwalt, I bought a 366a from a dealer on the net that was promised to go 550. Well it did but it locked in games like Quake and Unreal? So it was not stable at 550 at all. So I went to a local dealer and bought 2 366a's. One did 550 np the other does 605 np. And neither of the 2 I bought local were promised to overclock at all. So go figure, that is 2 out of three.

Well, i'm thinking of going the Celey 366 route. I'm going to try and buy locally so if I can't push the processor, I can trade it in for a new one. I have a feeling that I will have trouble taking a 500 to the 100 MHz FSB.

Ryan

------------------

Well rgwalt I think I was just very lucky with the two 366a's I bought localy. They are both very stable at 550 and 605, 2.0 volts. The one I got that was promised to go 550 is not even stable at any voltage and I tried and tried all the way up to 2.3v.
    There is a place, AZZO.com that many here endorse. They have 366a's promised to 550 at 2.0 volts for $100? But now you can get a 500 for about $80. But to push the 500 much more is questionable?

My c400 won't do 600Mhz, and not alot of other people have managed it either.
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

I bought 2 retail 366's via internet. Best speed was 506, but they won't run together at that speed in a bp6, which is why I got two in the first place. I turned around and bought a guaranteed 550 @ 2.1v. It's not stable either. I'm 0 for 3 so far. I guess I'm just VERY unlucky

I'm starting to wonder why I ever messed around with cely's to begin with. I could practically have a coppermine setup for what I've spent so far.

Well... This has been pretty enlightening. Me thinks I am going to have to do a little more research.

A couple more questions... Will the BP6 take a 500 MHz celeron? Also, what about a dual CuMine board?

Ryan

------------------

Thread Information