The Best Water Cooler To Date™
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: The Best Water Cooler To Date™

The Best Water Cooler To Date™

Has anyone seen this yet because it looks to me like the best water cooler I've seen to date.

They'll even make it in any metal you want it in.
    http://www.execpc.com/~bill73/LiquidG/Doc1.html

This one is in brass.

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Let me quote my friend Brett on this:

"Theres no doubting this is a beautiful bit of Engineering and its results (with this particular and obviously freaky CPU) are impressive, BUT and its a big but, what is the point of it in its current guise?? What am I talking about.........here
    Ok, first of all, its nothing new and its certainly not innovative. I will blow my own horn by saying I created just such a beastie not months but almost a year before this release!
    This on or about room temp cooling block is coming from the same school of thought as my own current unit see here.
    This methodology is useful in the correct system, but not applicable to everyone. I chose to use the term "Soft-Clocking" - at least I think I called it that? to describe this more passive form of cooling, however this particular unit by Trutech Engineering has left me with a "soft-on", so to speak.

What is particularly disappointing, is its inappropriate ratio of metal to water, in other words there's to much metal and not enough channeling to allow for the removal of heat by the coolant (water). You must keep the ratio of metal to water firmly in favour of water!!, remember it is not the metal that is cooling the CPU its the water!!, more precisely the water acting as a liquid conduit to carry the heat away from the CPU as quickly and efficiently as possible and this unit, regardless of its furfy dual input design, is not even close.
    The metal, for the sake of simplicity, is just there to contain the water/coolant and allow it circulate into, across and out of the cooling block. The Cooling block should not in any way attempt to store the transmitted heat from the CPU, it must "Transfer" the heat from the immediate contact area with the CPU to the water channels for removal, asap!!, and for that purpose, copper is the choice affordable material!!......superior to aluminium in that respect.

Because (yes i know, shouldn't start a sentence with a conjunction, **** sorry.... , of its limited cooling channels, thus a simplistic flow path, there is no doubting that with a ordinary pump it would have a very fast circulation rate, but (waiting for the "but" weren't you?) water velocity isn't everything. I have seen several reviews exploring the Water Velocity vs. Quantity issue. The reasearch found that there is a cut-off point where any further increases in the water velocity make little or no difference to the effectiveness of the cooler. I personally feel that this unit has erred way to much toward the velocity is everything rule. My own copper cooling block has a ratio of metal to water way in favour of water, as a result the water path is rather convoluted requiring a high displacement pump to deliver a sufficient water flow rate as an offset.

I feel the use of the dual input is purely cosmetic. With the limited water channel design and the token heatsink style fins, the unit is fundamentally a "heatsink". Its another "been there done that" situation as well. I experimented with coupling my FDP32's to the top of my cooling block as a "Front-line" attack on transient heat storage (there is always going to be a degree of storage). They were secured with the current fastening system (which are the fasteners off the FDP32's!!) I used a small amount of heatpaste and placed both heatsinks on the BP6 copper cooling block......it looked awesome!! (if there is enough interest, I'll put them back on for a look see)..........the result of course, was completely useless!!!! It was an exercise in cosmetics as is the Trutech Engineerings cooling block!

The one saving grace of this design and I understand it was a deliberate design consideration on Trutech Engineerings part (it was on mine as well), was the case for "pump failure!"
    The thinking being that the cooling blocks more potent effectiveness as a heatsink would allow it to radiate heat for a sufficient amount of time for the operator to power off the system........this is ill-conceived and half-hearted as the operator may well be unaware of the failure of the pump and of course may not be local to the puter at the time, the overclocked cpu will very quickly saturate the heatsink and the rest is in the lap of the gods. I overcame this by mounting two Sunon 90mm fans on the FDP32's (replacing the 60mm's), and operating them as per normal (they could have been very easily brought on through a relay system if the pump should fail, or even a simple thermistor/relay system detecting an over-temp on the cooling block itself.....I didn't do it because such a system is inherently faulty and as I said, almost entirely cosmetic...very do-able nevertheless).

Now remember, as with my system, this is not a Subzero cooling arrangement!! So if your CPU was not reaching that tantalizing but currently unattainable speed, this style of cooler will not necessarily give you the dramatic drop in temperature that you may require!! If it was to go to beyond the passive cooling criteria then the can of worms that is condensation and corrosion rears its ugly destructive head. So the best this unit can hope for is to run your cpu on or around about room temperature!! If your CPU makes that quantum leap to the next level of nirvana then all power to you............

This is not the style of heatsink that you would use in collaboration with a peltier either. Why so?......well again for the reasons I just mentioned, but particularly because it is not intended to go sub-zero and with a peltier thats exactly what would happen (at the very least low temps again creating condensation problems) and then the unit will have to be insulated and that defeats the secondary purpose of it acting as a heatsink in those times of pump failure. Not to mention the all to possible failure of the peltier to which the quality of the heatsink becomes irrelevant as the peltier acts as a very efficient insulator and will block the tremendous build-up of heat by the CPU.........major chaos then baby.
    Seems to me its trying to be all things to all people, and that is just flawed engineering in my humble opinion....(yeh right, humble?....lol)

The speed achieved by the good fella's at Club Overclocker is indeed impressive, but I want more details. Specs on temps would be very enlightening. It seems however that this is one sweet CPU. I feel the fella's have missed the point slightly in that they may as well have used a standard cooling block at a ****-load cheaper price to get the same result.

If you are looking toward sub-zero water-cooling, get a cooling block, if you are air cooling use a heatsink/fan combo...........if you are passive cooling using a water-circulation system (such as mine), then use whatever combo of the above you like, but keep in mind that a suitable standard cooling block will achieve the same if not better results than the Trutech Engineerings cooler at a fraction of its price.......will it look as good and give you 30seconds to turn off your puter before you cook it ???....probably not!!
    That's called a back-handed compliment and that's the best one I can give it.

In fairness to the Cooler, there is nothing to stop it being used in a sub-zero system, other than it wasn't designed for it and it wont look very pretty locked behind walls of polystyrene.

Oh and guys, how about giving me that CPU and I'll get the little bastard humming at 1Gig for ya'.......stop stuffing with room temp cooling, that little fella deserves some serious permafrost.........get ye gone to Siberia pronto!!!

If Trutech Engineering take exception to my views then I'm quite willing to suck egg should they wish to supply me with a unit for review........I am nothing if not fair....cruel, but fair......... "

...and I tend to agree with him.

ck his site at http://www.users.bigpond.com/sauvignon/

Duckman

------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    Duckman's Wild Page
    Site Content: Overclocking, cooling and a lot of BS about Me, Myself and I.
    Sorry, I didn't hear you, I was staring at your breasts.

that was an ugly locking big block usefull for nothing

------------------
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place

Damn! This foot of mine tastes really good in my mouth.

You're the king Duckamn.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

this is mutch better, sory about the pic
    it is made of an Alpha some metall and Cemical metall, thats the dark stuff.

------------------
    Xriz`s Place
    Xriz`s Place

Thread Information