Is Celeron 566 And Up 0.18 Micron Core?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Is Celeron 566 And Up 0.18 Micron Core?

Is Celeron 566 And Up 0.18 Micron Core?

I need to know the answer to this question because I was right about to buy a Pentium III 700 because of its overclockability. What stopped me from doing so was my other thread about buying now or waiting until later. Good thing you all told me that it wasn't such a good idea.

So, do I wait for the Celeron's now? It would be just great to have these things overclock nearing a GHz.

Cheers all

------------------
    It Is Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

TB it said they are .18 micron with 128k L2 and with SSE instruction set.

u should have read the article.

------------------
    Marriage...The hangover that lasts a life time!
    whatever

They are .18, 128kb L2 and SSE.

Basically they are PIII with 1/4 or 1/2 the L2.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

The Intel processors coming next week will represent an evolutionary step forward for Celeron. Not only will the chips contain multimedia extensions, they will be the first chips made on the more advanced 0.18-micron process, which can open the door to a variety of benefits.

As a result, the chips also will contain 256KB of secondary cache, a performance-enhancing feature on the Pentium III, Brookwood said. On the Celerons, however, Intel is disabling half of the cache so the chip can only take advantage of 128KB of the cache.

copied from Cnet.
    whatever

Okay, that's really good news to me. All I have to do now is sit back and wait for some to overclock it. Hopefully, it does as well as the Pentium III's.

Cheers all.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Does anyone know what the multiplyer's are going to be on the new celerons? I would guess they are going to be high which will make them hard to overclock.
    AT7 MAX 2 - T-Bred 1730@ - 12X194=2332mhz - 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 - Chaintech Geforce 4 320/730 - 4 WD 120JB Raid 0 striping - SLK-800 - Enermax 550watt

well that depends what the fsb is gonna be
    i think intel will use 100 cos 66 is dead

------------------
    What was my joke about again?
    visit my Website!
    Athlon XP1600+ @2000+ Alpha PAL 8085 MSI K7T266 R126 512mb Crucial CAS 2.5 DDR
    Gainward Geforce 2 Pro /450 GS 2 40Gb 60GXP's In RAID 0 Black Dell P791 SB Live PLatinum 5.1 Black GW 802

assuming the they will continue to produce processors with increments of 33mhz, then the fsb should still be 66......

unless they plan to have multipliers that isn't going by increments of .5

At least the first couple of celeron II's will use the 66 MHZ front side bus. The 566 will have a multiplier of 8.5.

D

I don't get it... why is it when you have a higher multiplying variable does it make a processor more difficult to overclock?

If my guess is correct then its because the chip is usually at the end of its line already and newer technology has already been developed.

Actually, I saw a pIII 533EB tonight, which means its a 533mhz speed with the .18 micron (ie. coppermine) and the 133mhz bus speed. Didn't think they started until 566. So I would assume that the 566 would be 566e as well.

------------------
    "To err is human, to really f**k things up requires a computer!"

The only thing I like about the PIII is that you can get 133 Mhz fsb. I don't like the Price tag though. I can live with 8.5 multiplier and 100 Mhz fsb for a while though. For $125 it's a deal. Someone buy one and see what it does. Or we can all chip in $10 and send it to someone to try.

Thread Information