Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CALLING Machupo!

Hybrid View

CALLING Machupo!

ok how did you do that with your athlon 500

i have one aswell, 650Mhz core, 2.5ns cache,
    Biostart m7mkm m-board (
    thats the sad part

did you use a goldfinger or one of the funky mo-bo's??
    "you were just fragged by Kreator"
    "YOU LOSE"

2.5ns cache?!?!?! HOLY ****!!!!

are you sure? i thought the lowest AMD went was 2.8ns cache... you sure it isn't 3.6ns cache? (i've seen 5 varieties of cache chips in 500's: 4.0ns, 3.6ns, 3.3ns, 3.1ns, and 3.0ns)

Anyways, i've got an Asus K7M Rev 1.04 that is a pretty good athy board (if you're into gaming)... if you're more into sheer mhz, then the MSI K7Pro is the best so far (stable up to 238mhz fsb, while the k7m is at 220mhz ~ even a bit flaky there)

i have a fully modded CPU from trinity micro, this gives me control over the multiplier, voltage, and cache multiplier... most GFD's give you control over the cpu multi and the voltage, but not the cache multi (although, the Northwind GFD can be shipped with an optional "cache set", i think they're a set of wires you can solder yourself onto the cache multipliers)... course, if i could solder those things on there, i'd do the whole damn thing myself...

i don't think that the fsb is selectable on the Biostar M7MKA, so you'll probably have to go with just multiplier overclocking (unless you want to throw down $$$ for a new mobo ~ $125 or more).

If you decide to go with the CPU multiplier overclocking, you'll first have to bust your Athlon out of the heat coffin it's in... you can find directions here: at hardocp... now remember, this is hardocp... they take no prisoners

after you've busted that case off, you'll have to take off the heatplate... i'm going to insert my advice here: TAKE YOUR TIME... this isn't going to work in 15 seconds... just remember, that with each movement, you can destroy the nice lil' CPU you worked so hard to get.

Once that plate's off, get a decent cooler (like an Alpha P7-125) from somewhere like 2cooltek... the reason i like 2cooltek is because they are cheaper, have a larger selection, and are more prompt with shipping that 3dfxcool or the slew of other cooling shops i've seen (the exception to this is plycon.com.... they run a very well put-together business.

Now you need a GFD... my personal favorite (noticed that i do a lot of favorite ads here? ) is the Northwind GFD, just because it's fully fabbed, no wires... i've hear 'bout probs. with the K7OC (this is not an attack damnit... i don't want a flame war, this is just my personal experience -- damn, i've been hanging out in the CPU forum... i'm getting automatically defensive) and the Afterburner is just too damn big for my tastes. Once you get one of these guys, you're ready to go...

oh yeah, you're gonna need some thermal grease too... try the silver stuff... it's expensive, but it gave me the stability i needed at 880... actually, any thermal grease (alu, zn, ag, etc...) would be fine... frag tape is not...

now that you've got that, put a tiny drop of the grease on the cpu core and press the alpha against the cpu... now take the alpha back and see if you have good coverage w/ the grease... if so, slap that alpha on there, bolt it on, then stuff the GFD up on those little "golden fingers" at the top of the althon (hence the name)... stick it in your motherboard and you're ready to go...

be sure to check the dip switches on the GFD... i've heard of people getting the GFD with it set to 500mhz and 2.05v -- this has a very high probability of frying your CPU...

after that's all set, stand up, drink a beer, then hit the power switch (after you've built the sys. of course)... leave the case off, cause chick's dig it -- addendum... if you have pets/kids/trolls in the basement/or excessive dust, don't leave the case off... it's no fun...

hope this helped... if you got any more Q's i'll be here

------------------
    Shameless plug:
    Athlon 500@880 (4.00 X 220), 2/5 cache, 1.80V
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

how's that for an epistle

------------------
    Shameless plug:

The Overclockers Network

Holy flying bananas, batman. 2.5 ns = 400 MHz!!!!! You could run that thing @ 800 Mhz with a 1/2 L2 cache divider (and that's still within specs) and maybe a bit more!!!!!

o.k. i was just getting ready to get into bed and i realized that i forgot something... there's also a program out there (almost mythical in my eyes, cause i've never seen it and believe me, i've looked) written by H-Oda (of WCPUID and SoftFSB fame) that allows you to change the cache multiplier in software... no soldering... if you can find it, you're golden (no pun intended)...

kay, i'm back to bed (don't get any ideas nite...)

-Machupo

The Overclockers Network

The 2.5ns Cache are only shipped with the Chips from the Dresden plant - .18micron copper, 900Mhz and above.

There is no way you got that on a 500.
    You might find these on other .18 micron Athlons, but they are 550+.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

[This message has been edited by Tiberia (edited 03-09-2000).]

I have that software.

------------------

I am calling a guy I know who works for AMD, because if there are Athlons with 2.5ns Cache modules out there I want a few of them myself.

------------------

yeah... if there are 2.5ns cache modules floating around, i want at least 5 of them...

------------------
    Shameless plug:

The Overclockers Network

There are NO 2.5ns cache modules floating around on Athlons in general circulation.

There might be some as of next week - on the 1Ghz Athlons - but they are expected to debut on the 1Ghz Athlons for 2/5 Cache.

And 500's have never been issued with anything faster than 3.0 and that was a handful only - 550's on the other hand have been issued with 2.8ns (only a few, and only .18).

Right now, AMD only make .18 600Mhz and above. These also come with 2.8ns L2.

Status as of yesterday.
    If anything is floating around labelled faster than it should be, its wrong or is a laboratory specimen, in which case you wont be putting it in a home PC because you need a Fester board for it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tiberia (edited 03-10-2000).]

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    damn, Tiberia knows his AMD.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

maybe you can get one specially made for you ??

j/k

Thread Information