Condensation with peltier?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Condensation with peltier?

Hybrid View

Condensation with peltier?

My old room mate used to overclock his AMD K6-2s and he bought a really nice peltier cooler from Mushkin. He ended up not using it because he heard about a problem with condensation. Is this really a problem?? The reason I ask is that this cooler is still wrapped in the plastic and I could prolly get it for nothing. I'd like to see how high I could take my K6-2 500

This cooler was something like 80 bucks new..wish I had more specific info on it.

Thanks!
    J.T.

Yup....... Condensation is present anytime you don't "COMPLETELY" seal the peltier, coldplate, and cpu from air. It can get under the chips on the cpu and press them out, it can short out the cicuitry... It can short out and ruin your chip... Just my $.02
    By the way... is the cooler your refering to a MC100 cooler?? If so, it's a fairly good 1.

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

However the green stuff that condenstaion leaves can be used to make attractive jewellry

just to expand on what Big Lar said...condensation forms when the temperature of the area cooled drops below the dewpoint of the atmosphere. condensation won't necessarily form just because you are using a peltier, but it will if the peltier used causes the cold area to drop below the dewpoint.

------------------
    FREESTONE...interested?

http://www.geocities.com/godsofwar_1999/freestone.html

Sheez...sounds like a lot of homework. I don't want to put anything in my case that I'm going to have to worry about....maybe I'll just add some extra fans and see how it runs at 550.

Big Liar as far as which model it was...here's about all I can tell ya: It was sealed against a square piece of cardboard with shrink-wrap and it had a big sticker on the shrinkwrap that said MUSHKIN..oh yeah one more thing...it's been sitting in the front-right corner of my friends spare bedroom closet for about a year now

Thanks for the info everyone!
    J.T.

Heh... First thing/ It's Big Lar!!!!!!!!!!!!1 lol secondly/ I think if your not gonna use it , you should contact me ... hmmmmmm sell it/ trade it/ give it to me??? lol

------------------

if not you can allways ship it ower here,
    i have just started an orphanage for unused peltiers! i can garante you it will get a nice home

------------------
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place

Hahah! Sorry about that BIG LAR..sheez I'm makin' friends already! Anyway I called up my friend and he said he bought it for his CELERY 300 clocked @450 but he never put it on...so it's useless to me on my AMD. I asked him if he'd send it to you Lar (LAR) but he said "...ummm....no." So I guess that's that.

What should I be able to get out of my new K6-2 500 with nothing more than an alpha cooler or something similar? 550? Would I even need anything besides the stock heatsink/fan combo to do 550? I don't think my motherboard does anything higher than 100mhz FSB (Microstar 5169) and my memory is only PC100 anyway so what's the point right?

Welp...later on guys,
    J.T.

AK fitst off all, the myths about condisation
    are a bit extreem.. #1, yes you might get some condisation, if you get it cold enough, but #2 condisation is all but 100 % free of all contaminates that like to conduct electricity, like minerals and such, and guess what makes water dangerous to your electronics..., all that crap in the water.. so in turn the chances of actually frying something is very small, no to mention if you get it cold enough it wi;ll be frozen condistaion anyway(as long as you dont shut your pc off.. Now as not being able to use the tec for you k6.. you should have very little problem trimming down the cold plat to fit between your cpu and heatsink, the peltier itself you be the perfect size.. minior modifications are part of the game.. I know you can make it work.. Good Luck!!

k6-III 400 @ 632.5 (5.5x115)
    3 tec's(2 90's and 1 120) watercooled

ps if you get it together and have condisation, first seal all of the joints between the cpu, coldplate and heatsink with silicon and cut some foam(like the kind that comes inthe box with a new mobo, and lay it on your mobo arround your socket, and silicon that to your socket.. have fun!!

------------------
    ~{*SPEED LIMIT 1000MHZ*}~
    <<>*My Stuff*<>>
    6300 Core2Duo@2065 Mhz
    ASrock 775Dual-VSTA
    2GB DDR Dual Channel
    2 WD 150 7200 Raid 0
    XFX 6600GT @ 550/1100

Amazing how many friends you have when they want something huh??? lol/ If your friend has any info on it, and is willing to sell, if it's the right thing I'm looking for, I would be willing to buy it

------------------

Thread Information