Thought on Big Lar's Crack.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Thought on Big Lar's Crack.

Thought on Big Lar's Crack.

No not his ***, I just looked at that after I typed it. lol

As I have been patiently waiting for my new Alpha fan to arrive to cool my ICE-71, I have been messing around with the peltier with a stock fan not placed on the cpu. I had concerns about using it after Big Lar's post on his chip cracking. I have concluded that the possible reason for his chip cracking is from the extreme temperature change the chip endures after the pc is shut down. I observed that the moment you remove power from the peltier and fan, the cold side gets extremely warm almost instantly because the heatsink/fan is no loger running. Going from hot to cold is one thing, but should not crack a chip as much as the possibility of going from cold to hot under those extreme temperature changes.
    I ordered a universal timer from Radio Shack today, part# RSU12127128. It is one of those little solder yourself kits. It provides a delay of up to 60 minutes with onboard relay.
    I figure I wire it up with another power supply, so that when I shutdown, the fan/heatsink will continue to run on the peltier for as long as it needs to.
    Got to laugh, I run a 550@733 now at stock voltage, I post at 825 so I figure with peltier I can do it. I figured what the heck for 20 bucks. I have since purchased second AT power supply along with relays to auto shut it down when I shutdown with ATX, a sheet of copper, now the timer circuit. What next.....

Anyone with any input on my theory here let me hear your thoughts or ideas, I could just be way off base with this one.
    Those who know DO, Those that dont know TEACH

I think there is a good chance that you are right. The one thing that may make a differance is the cold plate, I think it does buffer this rapid change to some extent. Running the heatsink and some case fans after shut down dampen this change even further.

The other option is not to shut down at all!
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

He could switch it to 5 volts a little while before he shuts down just to let it heat a little.

Kebo
    C:
    C:RUN
    STOP LOOKING AT MY :

Kebo, Great idea
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

Thanx and a quick question... Sander is running his athlon on a 175mhz bus? OMFGIAGTDCTIWTFH

Kebo
    C:
    STOP LOOKING AT MY :

That would work also Kebo. Drop a secondary event timer cascadded with relays. First timer after shutdown drops the voltage by connecting relay circuit to 5 volt ps line. Then second timer allows for fan only for specified time.
    I am looking for a solution that would not neccesitate my intervention. I want to just do a shutdown from windows, and walk away.
    Could problably get real fancy and breadboard my own setup which drops the voltage down automatically in 1 volt increments until it hits zero, then after another minute or so shut off the fan. I will have to dig out my Electronics course books. Never thought I would need them until now.
    Those who know DO, Those that dont know TEACH

Or he could build a powersupply for it and just slowly turn it down.... I've been thinking of building a couple.. if I ever get around to it.

Kebo
    C:
    STOP LOOKING AT MY :

So, when you cut the power to a pelt, does its cold side become hot? Or does that happen when you turn off the fan?

I figured that the cold side would become hot after you turned off the pelt, because it isn't pumping heat any longer.

However, if you have a great big cold plate, that shouldn't be much of a problem. I still contend that you should let your CPU get down to temperature slowly before turning your system on. This will have the highest impact on wear on the CPU if you have a large coldplate. Not only do you have to cool the plate, but then the CPU as well.

Ryan
    Tried to save myself but my self keeps slipping away...

Thread Information