FAT32X ??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: FAT32X ??

FAT32X ??

Has anyone ever had a problem with your file allocation table being reported as an fat32x ? Everytime I install windows or try to clone to this hard drive. I keep getting errors and then find this fat32x crap! Last time I tried cloning, the last partition out of 4 said fat32x and I couldnt even delete it cause the volume label was all garbage characters.
    What the hell is going on here? I was overclocking a 366 to 523 and then backed it all the way down to default and this is still happening.

[This message has been edited by Donovan (edited 03-06-2000).]

Been there. Had to reformat 3 times, it still acted funny after that. Its the price you pay for overclocking.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

i tink it time to write zeros to the drive. and start from scrach. if Fdisk won't deal with it then try the HD web sight and DL the tools to check the drive. in those tools thay will have the utility to write zeros to the drive with returns it to it's factory state. then repartition and format from there. good luck.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

The only o/c speeds I ran at were between 92 and 100 fsb with a 1/3 divider. So the pci was never o/c'd but under clocked slightly. Could that f up the hd too? Man this sux
    Yeah, I was gettin similar messages to that TN. Can't recognize the partition letter, or partition inaccessible.

Just an update. I downloaded the zero fill utility by quantum and just finished writing all zeros to the hd. I guess the big advantage is that this util wipes out the master boot record in addition to all the other fats and data. So if I have a virus in the mbr, its history.

Looks like you tried to format a 2Gb partition with FAT16 - 65536 Bytes/Cluster is what you get on a 2Gb FAT16 drive.
    Of course if your drive is > 2Gb, then it got messed bad up by something...

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Well guess what? It worked!!
    The zero fill utility was a success and I highly recommend it. Thanks for the suggestion amdking! Oh, I guess there is a similar utility for most hard drives out ther by the way

Thread Information