Please read! O/c-problems..
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Please read! O/c-problems..

Please read! O/c-problems..

Hello, I got a few things to ask about. Right now I'm trying to overclock my PIII 450, with a standard heatsink and fan mounted on.

I've read a lot of articles saying that this PIII 450 SL35D I have quite easy overclocks to 600 MHz. But I can't reach much over 504 Mhz. If I increase the corevoltage up to 2.3 V however, I can run it up to 548 MHz pretty stable, and the temp stays around 38 C. But higher than that seems impossible, I always get registererrors and lock ups in Windows.

So, what's the problem? The fact that I have to increase the corevoltage so much to get it stable, even at such low fsb as 115 makes no sense to me. The 64 M PC100 memory I have should do at least 124 MHz, I've checked it up. And I have seen people running their PIII 450@555 at 2.0V.

I have the Microstar BX 6163 pro mobo, and a TNT2 M64 videocard.

Thanks!

These are different things you can try, but there is no gaurantee they will help:

* Lower your temps by adding more case fans, a larger heatsink, and better fans on the heatsink. Try to get the temp lower and then try a lower voltage.

* Check L2 ECC is enabled. Sometimes this helps (as it has one two of my oced systems)

* Increase the voltage. Looks like you've done that, but check to make sure. But be careful, you don't want to go to high

You may just have a cpu that won't oc much higher than the 548 you're getting now. Cpu are not %100 overclockable. The celeron 333mhz had a lousy 40% success rate when it came to overclocking it to 500mhz.

You may want to try another setup, cpu, or mobo. Also, it is possible that a card or hard drive doesn't like the higher fsb. Try your system out with only the video card and hard drive, and see if it will boot and run stable at a higher mhz.

Good Luck!

------------------
    "THE BEST SUBSTITUTE FOR BRAINS IS SILENCE. . ."

Or you could just build yourself a
    [img]http://duckmanswildpage.com.domainvalet.com/dv_get/9438/allkindsof****/FrankenAnim2.gif[/img]

Duckman

Duckman:

a big "X"???

hehe...

------------------
    Shameless plug:
    Athlon 500@880 (4.00 X 220), 2/5 cache, 1.80V
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

What Pci divider are you using and what are your ci speeds when you get reg errors???
    get them as close to 33MHZ as possible ...under if neccesary to get close...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...
    * OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

Thanks for your replies.

Candyman: I think I've got one of those cpu's
    that don't overclock much, though I actually have a SL35D which is "famous" for it's overclocking capabilities. And that makes me really disappointed...

It's so damn dull! Can't be normal I have to increase the corevoltage to 2.3 V to get it somewhat stable just above 504 MHz. The temp isn't too high, and I have the right settings in the bios. Nothing makes sense... maybe the mobo isn't good for this..

And the strange thing is that I sometimes get registryerrors even at stockspeed. Seems like the cpu overall works better if I increase the corevoltage at stockspeed.

Something is really rotten...

Tweety: The board I use have a 1/4 pci-divider, but the pci-speed is not the cause to my registryerrors. I've checked it. My harddrive is a UTA66 Fujitsu 8.45 G.

Damn... overclocking isn't easy.. *sigh*..

Thread Information