amd k7 or coppermine?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: amd k7 or coppermine?

amd k7 or coppermine?

I currently have a bf6,bx6r2 and numerous celerons, and i can get a coppermine 650 ppga for about 350+s/h but for about the same price i could get a k7 650 and a cheaper msi mobo...hmmm bout 380+s/h
    should i stray from my loyalty for intel and buy a k7? i've got a voodoo3 3k agp...10 and 20 gig wd hdd's...a sb 512 pci and sb 56k pci
    ...i have pc100 up the *** and 128meg of pc133...does it pay to have pc133 for a k7?
    i heard most people can't get past like 110 fsb? i just wanted a k7 650 to change the multiplier and max it out that way..(as to not cook anymore hdd's..but i wanna know will a k7 650 rock? or should i get the overpriced cu 650ppga and shoot for 950+?
    my voodoo runs max about 105mhz 1/1...i dug out my celly 366 to test it..i figuer then the video should function at 150fsb with a 2/3 for the agp...my pc133 should be good for 150ish...i'm thinkin coppermine...what u guys thinkin?

i'd get a 700... they will have faster cache chips (cause they were the last chips produced at a stock 1/2 cache multi) and they have more embedded instructions (i think 78 as opposed to 70) -- which gives you "slightly" more increase in performance (super-linear increase)... you can get them for about $250

if you're going to want to up the fsb, i'd say go with an MSI K7Pro over an Asus K7M (even though the K7M is slightly better at gaming) cause the K7M is usually stable up to about 220mhz fsb and the K7Pro has been known to be stable at up to 238mhz fsb

you're still going to have to buy a GFD if you want to alter the multiplier and voltage settings (you may want to get the cache multipliers soldered onto the card if you're going to want to go up, cause 700 is quickly approaching the limit of cache chips at 1/2)

with a 700 core and 3.0ns cache chips, i bet you'd get up to 1ghz fairly easily with effective air cooling (alpha P7-125) or watercooling...

have fun!

btw, you like my new sig? i had to change it a bit, cause i finally got off the 1/2 multi... better watchout there NiteOwl... i'm gonna come stormin' into the 900 club sometime this week (my new watercooler is "in transit" -- i hate non-specific tracking... grrrrrr....

edited due to frickin' smilie interaction...

hope this helped!

------------------
    Shameless plug:
    Athlon 500@880 (4.00 X 220), 2/5 cache, 1.80V

[This message has been edited by Machupo (edited 03-05-2000).]
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

well i bought the k7 500 w/650 core, week 52, right now at this moment im at 750 and 32C room is 28C, the K7's kick ***. i like them i have had and stilll do have intel cely's but there in pops' comp. no OCing there. i think the k7 beet the intel in benchmarks done at Tom's hardware. i know mine kicks *** in all games and seti wether it be win2k, 98se, linux. so it's what ever ya wana pay for. intel are good and so it amd. it's your choice. your money.
    "Is it worth it to give your heart away, and live for a great period of joy, risking the chance to have your heart broken? If your heart does get broken, was it worth it to give it away? - Me"

about kicking butts in seti ... how fast is your WU? Many PIII 450@ 600 does a WU in 6 hrs, my PII 400@ 500 does a WU in 6.5 hrs.

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 03-05-2000).]

also... if you're going to run at 150fsb, you're definately going to want a 1/2 AGP divider... no AGP card i know of (of course, i am a bumbling idiot... so someone PLEASE!!! prove me wrong ) will run at 100mhz...

Nite... my SETI times are spectacularly unimpressive... i think it's the horrible memory throughput of the VIA chipset... guess i'm just gonna have to go back to good ol' Iron
    we're talkin' like 7hr. wu's at 880mhz... very, very, very dissapointing (this is win98 + gui 2.03... now, if i go back to w2k -- NOT FRICKIN' LIKELY -- i'll probably drop under 7hr... but like i said, i want to we under 4hrs... kay?)

doh... and now i've completely changed the subject of this post ::thwack::

------------------
    Shameless plug:

The Overclockers Network

Machupo
    CLAP can hack the high FSB, so can G400. I only asked about SETI WU time cuz iAMDKing said he had really good SETI WU time and I was surprised cuz most K7 systems doesn't do SETI well (I think it's the Via chipset too ... poor memory performances).

You think your SETI times are bad?!? I have an AMD K6-2 450 @ 460(4x115MHz)2.1v and I get like 11.5 hour WU's.

------------------
    Check my page and make suggestions, it will consist of many things when I have more time WMA Helper
    T-Bird 1000Mhz @ 1200Mhz(109.09(218.18DDR))FSB 1.65v
    MSI K7T Pro2-A(MS-6330)
    128 PC133 Crucial @ 145.45 CAS 2
    Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS(230/366)12.41
    SB Live!
    Maxtor 20GB 7200RPM 2MB cache
    40x Asus
    TDK VeloCD 16/10/40/32A
    KDS VS-195 19"
    Netgear 10/100
    3-button Logitech
    Wyndoze ME

yeah, but when Nite's less than 100mhz ahead of me (yeah, i realize that his fsb is effectively 150% of mine), it's kindof disconcerting to almost double his WU time

oh yeah, and Nite... i'm running a 6.25hr. WU right now with the non-intel version... thanks!

hehe... just had to add this... i went to the local brothel to look for the CLAP you talked about, but no one seemed to know specifically where i could find it...

it took my tired brain just a second too long to process that CLAP meant Creative Labs Annihilator Pro... hahaha... look at me... i'm an idiot... o.k. just point and laugh

------------------
    Shameless plug:

[This message has been edited by Machupo (edited 03-05-2000).]

The Overclockers Network

Jeffy79 Guest
    Dont base your decision on seti it is not the best program to test your cpu. In fact it shows it maybe optimized for a INTEL based chip. I would get the athlon 700 plus K7pro board like machupo said. A 650E is ok but you gotta super cool the chip to run it at higher mhz. A athlon core @750 got to 1ghz air cooled, no pelteirs involved.

Jeff

------------------
    "Thats my story and im stickin to it!"

[This message has been edited by Jeffy79 (edited 03-05-2000).]

Machupo your very wrong bout the 100mhz agp...i'm runnin my 366@550 and runnin 1/1 agp...rock solid stock heatsink/fan...
    my dad ran his viper770 at 100mhz...so if i run 100mhz and 1/1 agp or 150mhz and 2/3 i don't see any difference...as far as coolin i run my 366@594 at about -10c idle +12c 100% cpu load....2 peltiers water cooled..
    i'm gettin 2 new peltiers next week..110watt 24V...i think i'll probably get the cu650

wow! i stand corrected (heh, like i said... i'm a bumbling idiot... nothing more )

anyways...

i'd also just like to say that since i changed my ram's page idle from 2 cycles to 1 cycle, my seti slowed down to about an 8 hour wu... not bad for a 666mhz system on win98

ok... enough of this crap... i've been out of the game for a week, time for me to grab psyduck once and for all grrrrrrrrr....

back to 880 it is!

------------------
    Shameless plug:

The Overclockers Network

...and here's another to chime in with the "CLAP"!

My CL Annihilator Pro easily does the dance at 100MHz AGP, Machupo.

Jeff-- CPU choices are foolish choices when based upon "potential" of a CPU alone. Performance is based upon the performance of a system as a whole when it is employed running the software of choice of the prospective buyer. The fact is, when running SETI and lots of other software, the C-Mine lays the smackdown on the Athlon.

The makers of the SETI@Home program wrote, tested, comipled and made it for Intel systems.

As for Cu-mine laying the smackdown on Athlon, that has a lot more to do with the chipset, MB and software than the CPU - from what I can tell - but as far as software is concerned, you are totally right.

-

My Athlon, when running a lot of services under NT (which it does most o fthe time and will probably do from now on), gets me pretty good SETI times, good benchmarks and a very steady performance, better than most Intel variants running at the same speed.

The best comparison I have is the PIII-500 I sometimes use at work - I don't notice any great difference in all-round performance - some benchmarks are higher on one system, others lower - it basically amounts to the Athlon being a bit faster, but not a staggering amount. The biggest difference is the OS. The BX Chipset was obviously designed for NT4, or it was a major fluke that some things run miraculously well on it.

Plus, lots of industrial and commercial software houses design for Intel, then make patches for AMD if demand is there - so software is currently on Intel's side.

-

On another note, a lot of software is very, very poorly programmed. I have seen programs that take 30 seconds to install on a PII-350 take 38 minutes to install on an Athlon - because of some stupid graphical effect programmed into the installation routine (example is WebTrends Log-Analyzer.

Also, when I do a Search & Replace in Word 97 on my PIII, the first search rockets (~40sec) through a 19MB text-file, but on the second search its slow, SLOW (30mins) - on the Athlon it still takes only 40secs, even on the 20th pass. Same software - same HDD, identical VGA (G200) and NIC (3C905B).
    Now MS obviously didn't write Office 97P for an Athlon which didnt even exist yet - but it shows that there is a LOT of bas programming out there...

---

In short, it probably will make little real-world difference whether you buy a Cu-mine or an Athlon unless you are going to use only a handful of high-end packages which utilize SSE or the Athlon then buy whichever CPU matches your specific needs - otherwise buy whichever system fits your budget and any existing hardware you may have.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Jeffy79 Guest
    Very true baloney but the thing is that I didnt buy the athlon based on someones seti scores. I bought it because it performs very well. In fact as I said I score the same as a p3 800. I know benchmarks, but you gotta realize a benchmark is a benchmark. Its like a score, whichever is higher is better. Well atleast with certain ones. Anyways who cares, im happy with my system...

Jeff

------------------
    "Thats my story and im stickin to it!"

Thread Information