Overclocking the 840 and RDRAM
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking the 840 and RDRAM

Hybrid View

Overclocking the 840 and RDRAM

Well, H2o under the bridge.

The MoBo is here (IWILL DCA-200) the 512 of PC 800 is on line, the case is at station, the XEONS are on call. There is no helpful data out there, but the first thing I'm going after is decreasing the RMDRAM latency from 45 nSec to under 6nSec. This is OC heaven as it will require keeping the entire RIMM powered up continuously. The blue rap on the RIMM is not a marketting ploy. First results soon. Cover me, I'm going IN........

Good luck, man ... watch those DRDRAMS ... we don't know the thermal effects of keeping all of them on ... and getting the latency down to 6 ns ... man ... you are something else!

If it wasn't dangerous, it wouldn't be fun.

I think Intel had loads of heat problems keeping them on constantly, thats why they alternated them.

That was a rambus liscensing decision. Your right, that's why they don't. BUT the point is the same as heat dissapation with the CPU. I fully expect having to put peltiers on the CPU's (goes without saying), the MCH, and the RMDRAM. If somebody else is doing this, let's chat.

damn! You pretty much peltiered everything!!!!! peltier for your RAM and MCH!!!! Man, I wouldn't even see that one in my wildest dream (I had one dream where I was the P3C2000 mobo and I had a 500e for a brain ... that was before reviews (make that bad reviews) of the i820 and SDRAM came out).

------------------
    Join the OCN SETI group. I promise I will be nice to you
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_57947.html

Hey NiteOwl:

You and I covered that one before anyone else blew the whistle on RMDRAM. Remember, someone had asked about SDRAM and the 820. For the records, DONOT, anyone, buy an RMDRAM system unless you are sure what your buying into. The subtle writing on the wall has even INTEL backing away from RAMBUS tehnology.

My best bet for the high end user is to wait ~1 mo. for the Athlon thunderbird, and if you realy want to blow a pay check: wait for the MoBos based on the AMD 770 chipset with DDR PC 266+. Willamette will flop, and Itanium will not be supported. F'ster is a complete unknown. VLIW will not fly.

And i am a member: look at # 20 (30 min-#19) and 34.

you know what I don't get? Last time I checked RAMBUS's stock, they just sky rocketted (about a week or two ago). I don't get it! I heard yields were bad, Intel maybe slowly backing away from them, oem manufracturers seems more willing to go Via Apollo pro for PC133 ... why did the stock still went sky high???? (I don't know too much about stock and finances ... I am still to young and foolish to take good care of my money. Would you believe I am 23 yrs old? And we have a few members here still in their teens!)

------------------
    Join the OCN SETI group. I promise I will be nice to you
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_57947.html

man, I thought you abandoned us (when I saw you name over on the official SETI group) ... but then I started to crunch some SETI stats for the OCN SETI group and I realise your accounts were still getting new WU's. What a relieve, hate to lose you, man!

The best analogy I can think of is the good old MIPS chip. Even when SGI (don't get me wrong here, I live and breath IRIX) was in its R8000 days with SGI reeling after the idiotic CRAY aquisition, MIPS was doing well on Wall Streat. Why, 'cause mips chips powered very successful game platforms. RMDRAM does the same. Also, and more importantly, as you and I have done before, we are blowing the whistle before the WallStreet automotons have figured out the true playing field.
    For those seriously interested check out tomshardware.

you know what else about the i820 and SDRAM I don't like? The MTH is almost infamous now, but the SDRAM bus speed is not as noticed. I think it a joke that on a PC133 system your RAM is only running on a 100 MHz bus. What is the point for the 133 Mhz FSB then???? You are only half way there with your RAM still running @ 100 MHz ... you can forget about the benefit of increase RAM bandwidth.

As you say, the MTH speed hit is known now. It wasn't when you and I had this discussion about 2 weeks ago. The penalty is now known to be laughably stupid: again the coverage on Toms is pretty good.

Thread Information