CAS & RAS settings on Asus K7M with PC-150
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CAS & RAS settings on Asus K7M with PC-150

CAS & RAS settings on Asus K7M with PC-150

I have a Asus K7M with a step 550@750 and 256 megs of PC-150 I am not sure of the ns of the ram but I am not impressed with the Sandra results at all. The PII 450 exceeds my memory bandwidth by quite a bit. I am not sure how much. I exit so that I don't have to see that on my screen!! Nothing against a PII450 but I should be doing better than I am. If anyone has made adjustments, please tell me what you are set at. Thanks for any response. I am running at 100 mhz board speed as I have a hard time going over that even 1 hz. I have the memory at 3.56 and the cpu at 1.81 any Ideas?

------------------
    http://fpage.cei.net/~airintox/my/pc_performance.htm

[This message has been edited by MULTIMEDIA (edited 03-01-2000).]

http://www.airintox.com/my/pc_performance.htm
    What ever you do- DONT BUY FROM STEP-THERMODYNAMICS

Your memory benchmark depends on your FSB and your chipset, for example Intel's chipset always beats Via's. If your ram has 4.6ns of access rate, but running at 100mhz, it will be the same as 10ns running at 100mhz...If there is any difference it would be unnoticeable.

Thanks for the reply. I am still curious though if anyone has adjusted their Ram settings from default and got an increase I would appreciate info. I will be trying some alternative settings but I have to find the time first. I have saw some benchmarks on similiar systems and the ram bandwidth is a lot higher than mine, with the 751 chipset at 100 fsb. I also am not satisfied with the cpu rating I get compared to some I have saw at this speed. Any voltage settings would help. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by MULTIMEDIA (edited 03-02-2000).]

I recently bought the k7m with athlon 700 and 256 pc-133 ram. Are there any special jumper settings for using pc133 as opposed to pc100. If you know anything, let me know!

Thats normal I think - check out my Website with some images of various benchmarks to get an idea.
    I can get my FPU BW higher than intel, but not my INT, at least not stable - not yet.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Actually, PC-150 is unsupported by ASUS. I actually managed to get some emails from them and they say it dont work too well.

They say stick with PC-100, PC-133 is mostly OK, but there are variations in the implementation of PC-133, hence the problems you sometimes get with it. They are also not the only ones to tell me this, I have heard similar things from representatives of Siemens, IBM, Infinieon, AMD and Intel.

------------------

are you guys sure the computer is seeing your full 256 MB of RAM? Some guy bought a stick of Micron 256 MB RAM and this was MS's reply:

"Micron parts are 32M x 4 bit chips and the AMD Irongate chipset only has 12 address lines plus 2 bank lines which means that it can only support 16 M address lines. The same is true for the Intel BX chipset leaving
    only the VIA chipset as of now that is capable of reading the full amount of memory on your DIMMs The calculation is: 32M addresses x 4 bit x 16 chips / 8 (bits / byte) which gives you 256 MB. The Corsair 256 MB DIMM, on the other hand uses 8 bit parts meaning that they are 16 M x 8 bit x 16 chips
    / 8 = 256 MB that can be read by about any chipset in the world (whether they can be cached is another question though :-) )
    With this DIMM you have two options, either exchange them or get a VIA chipset motherboard (those have 32 M addresses)."

I am not saying that is your case, but since we are on the topic of RAM and the K7M and 256 MB of RAM, I thought I would post this to let others know. Cheers

Mine is seeing all the ram, but it has to be in bank 1 and 3. it will not pick up anything above 100 in bank 2.??? Step-thermodynamics told me this was a bios problem that has not been delt with yet. It did the same thing with 256 megs of 133. I don't understand the reply stating that pc150 doesn't work well. Its only memory that is capable of faster a faster transfer rating as my understanding is. I am just curious of memory settings as I know with my other boards I found settings that resulted in larger bandwidth's. If I come across some before any are posted I will post them. Thanks for the input guys!

Thread Information