Copper Oxide - Nice Colour
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Copper Oxide - Nice Colour

Copper Oxide - Nice Colour

What a nightmare I've had these past couple of days.

To start with I tried to install ICS/wingate, windows didn't want none of that, so it dicided to first get rid of my network (though it detected the card and all the protocols where set up), next it got rid of my internet connection (dial but IE looks elsewhere), and then finally decided it didn't like explorer so crashed that. Well now I've got no network card and the modem back, so I'll leave it at that.

Today I made a coldplate. No problem there, jigsawed and smooth as any thing.

However I took the heatsink off and noticed a little bit of green on the copper h/s, and it was in one corner of the peltier. Ripped that off, and there was a pool of it that had dissolve into the rubber. **** I said. Well the pins on the top hadn't tarnished so maybe it's not that bad. Just to make sure I ripped the whole insulation off. Heres what I found.

On the back of the slotket where the pins stick out, green gunk everywhere. Front is okay except one corner of CPU-green. Take the CPU out. green on the top of the pins. And the sticky label has clearly been wet. ****.

The rubber I used clearly was 100% impermeable. The insulation under the CPU wasn't closed foam (though it was sealed in it contained water vapour in it). Seal wasn't 100% around peltier.

Well the slockets going in the bin, the CPU still works though. Going to coat a new one with a) nail varnish b)enamel clear cote. Gona fill the gaps with epoxy resin. Bond the peltier coldplate to the foam insulation. Cover the whole lot with elaphant tape and coat that with epoxy/varnish/clearcote. I'm gonna try to seal the cpu to the slocket as well.

Anyway the morale of this is don't think that by coating everythink with 2mm of rubber it stops water vapour. And don't right long posts.

By the way cold, I'll get the photos developed tommorow, theres enough room for a thin cold plate in there as well as a peltier.

------------------
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Pokemon love to overclock

post in this one, let the other run to the bottom,

Nice to see the replies folks

Well I bought a new adaptor today(QDI), I lapped the slug (it had one raised edge and a di in the middle) and lapped the h/s. Beutiful shiny copper. Can see my reflection in it.

I'm happely at 500@563 and 31C with SETI. 20C idle. So I'm actually quite happy now.
    Oh and [b]NO[/b} HTC. TN will be so proud of me.

[This message has been edited by Psyduck (edited 03-03-2000).]

Yo man the best software for networking i have used that shares the internet is SyberGate all u do is install it and it dose everything else take sabout 5 min to setup and get going, go to sybergen.com and get the trail it is wicked!
    Abit BP6, Dual 366@550, 128MB RAM, 13.6GB WD 7200RPM ATA/66, Voodoo3 3000AGP OCed to 183Mhz

Inventor of the PMP, Phunk Master Phreezer.

No I refuse to put the network card back in the PC. You won't make me. Also My ping has dropped by about 20 (160-140ish)on TFC so there is no way.:P

Thread Information