Dual Processor Running Seti???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Dual Processor Running Seti???

Dual Processor Running Seti???

The FAQ on Seti@home's page wasn't too clear for supporting Dual processors. Maybe you guys can help. I just installed Seti on a Dual PIII 450@558 running WIn2K 392MB Ram. In Seti, do you have to change any settings so that it recognizes both processors and uses them. Or does it do it automatically like the RC5 client?

------------------
    Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal!
    http://www.pcguru2k.cjb.net
    [PGR2K]

you can run 2 wu`s in win2k and set them to use diferent cpu`s that is faster overal than runing just one.
    to set up tou just hit ctrl alt del and rightclick on the seti prosess and set priority and cpu.
    TNproud2b can probably tell you more.

------------------
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place

Just run your SETI work units in individual folders. Use the command line version, of course. I do not assign individual processors for each work unit, Windows2000 manages that for me. I do have my system optimized for background services, but that's all I changed.
    I have 6 different SETI folders, all have a desktop link so i can start them with a single click. I generally run 2 at a time because that seems like the most efficient way. I can run a single work unit in about 8.5-9.5 hours @ 550MHz, but if I run 2 at a time It finishes both in about 13 hours. Running 3 or more slows me down to an average of about 10hrs/WU because it takes 30 hours to complete a set of 3.
    I don't know all the tricks, hell, I'm getting beat. Ask some of those guys that are ahead of me...
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Definitely one CPU per WU on Win2K.
    Its the (overall) fastest way to run it.

Do not alocate the CPU yourself unless there are some other peculiarities of your system that require you to do this.

You will probably get one WU/~7hrs running one SETI on one CPU, and around two WUs/~9hrs using two SETIs and two CPUs (one on each, managed by system).
    One SETI instance will finish before the other...like 90 mins before the other - dont be alarmed if its even more.

Do NOT set the priority of SETI to high, even on dual CPUs. This is only funny when its someone elses machine ;-)

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

No, set the priority to realtime
    Xriz`s Place

Thanks a lot you guys! I should be catching up to all of you on the Seti ranks in now time :-) definitely gonna setup another machine this weekend when I'm free.

------------------
    http://www.pcguru2k.cjb.net
    [PGR2K]

Thread Information