Off Topic but: Dual Booting???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Off Topic but: Dual Booting???

Off Topic but: Dual Booting???

Well I got Another OS today, and am wondering what kind of "Ill" affects any may have had due to overclocking issues of " Dual Booting". Should be interesting to hear the Outcome on this 1.....

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

I am not gonna be much help cuz last time I tried dual boot I ended up messing up my master boot record (I tried to restored it but no good) and I had to nuke everything and start from scratch ... I guess what I am saying is becareful about your master boot record (unless you know what you are doing, not like me just mucking around and messing up everything).

What OS's are you guys trying to dual boot with? Im running dual boot with Win 98 and NT 4. I had DOS on there but yanked it, havent got Linux working yet though...
    Long Live The BP6!

I wanna go with 98se/ which I'm using now, and 2000... I have partition magic/ and boot magic, and I believe I can get up and running... My thoughts are as to OC'n.. and what effects I might run into......

------------------

If you have Win98 installed, and want to install windoze2000, just squeze it in right away, win2000 take care of all the "dual boot" setup. Worked right away for me.

------------------
    Anyone got a cpu running at 666?

The best way to dual NT and 9x is to do the 9x first (which you have already done Just run the install for Win00 as suggested, and install to a separate directory (if you install to the same directory, you'll keep the settings, but loose Win98).

Niteowl, did you try fdisk /mbr that time?
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Big Lar,

The best way to dual boot Win98SE and Windows 2000 Pro is to use partition magic to create 2 primary partitions on your first disk. Only one of which can be active at one time. You then load Win98SE on the present active partition and get it running properly.

When that is all done I would use PQBoot32 (can be run from PartitionMagic CD) to switch the active partition to the Win2K partition. Then install Win2K and get it running properly.

When all that is done again use PQBoot32 to switch to make the Win98 partition active. Then install BootMagic which will allow you to select the Operating System (active partition) at bootup (Bootmagic even has mouse support at bootup). You must install BootMagic on your Win98 partition because PartitionMagic 5 will not install on Windows 2000.

Hope that helps.

------------------
    Mike
    http://www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

Thanx Dimarini... I understand what your saying, and it helps immesely... I put boot magic in my "c" drive allready, but didn't allow it to take control yet... If I have Probs, may I email you as to this.... Thanx again/ as i will be tinkering with it sunday

------------------

Over here we have the barclaycard, its a visa but it gives you 90 days purchase insurance, so if you break what you buy, lose it or it gets nicked you are covered. They don't ask many questions and the forms only one page long.

Can some one tell my why this posted here, I haven't even read this yet?

Thread Information