celeron 500 ==> o/c
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: celeron 500 ==> o/c

Hybrid View

celeron 500 ==> o/c

hey all..got a prob..
    i have a cele500 chip sitt'n on A-bit B6-II motherboard..
    the multiplier is fixed at 7.5. now the computer runs fine at 563mhz...(and i mean smooth ***)..the temp is abt 40C and the CPU voltage is sitt'n at about 2.05V (this is at 75mhz bus speed X 7.5)

now when i increase the bus speed to 83mhz and the cpu voltage to 2.3v...windows just doens't like it...on startup..last time it totally crashed..i had to reinstall everthing...yesteday when i did it again (after a full reinstall)...it said that the registery is stuffed...and wind will restart u'r computer now..and then started the 'loop'
    cpu tem about 45-48C

is it because my chip can't handle it or is it because there is some prob with windows 98(SE)

any feedback greatly appreciated...
    thanks
    ashish

by the way guys...my windows is installed on a SCSI segate harddrive...and my scsi controller card is Adaptec (i know it's not the best but oh well i have it ;o)

pls snd me feedback

Im no expert at ocing but those temps sound very high to me. You have raised to voltage to 2.3v which is going to put the heat of the cpu up **** loads. You may need better cooling eg better heatsink/fan or even a peltier to cool the chip. It may not be a cooling solution might just be that hdrive etc cant take those bus speeds but im not sure how much u can push your setup. If u can lower the voltage to 2.2v it may boot.

Ebonix

yeah i tried dropp'n the voltage to 2.2v but dammm it got stuck at the god damm LILO...

so had to increse it to 2.3v

yeah i have ordered a new heatsink and a couple of slot 1 fans..so just waiting for those...

thanks

I'm running a cel 500 also, and it's doing the same to me. I don't think the 500's are gunna be good oc'ers.

I got exactly the same thing with mine. However with an alpha370 and a peltier, I've managed to get it stable (enough) at 625. Temperature is a big factor on this chip as its so new. I try to keep mine bellow 30C. The problem could well be with the h/d. The BE6-2 won't do the 1/3 PCI at 83, and above this it will only do 1/3 for certain processors (I managed to get it to switch at 85 for a P-III). There are people working on this so the answer will be told soon.

------------------
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Pokemon love to overclock
    www.seven-internet.co.uk

cool...thanks for u'r feedback ppl

in b/w what the hell is a alpha370 and a peltier??? ;o))

The alpha 370 is a heat sink http://www.micforg.co.jp/cat_pfe.html , its very tall and using it would obscure the first two ram slots (leaving only one free). The alpha alone won't help you reach 625, you would need some kind of extra cooling for this chip.

A peltier is a thermoelectric device (TEC), it electronically pumps heat from one side to another http://www.melcor.com/cpseries.htm , in doing in so it creates heat it self. The 'cold side' can be as much as 70C cooler than the hot side (this varies) therefore if I can keep the hotside temperature low ,using a heatsink or water, it is possible to get sub room temps. (or even sub zero) on the cold side and therefore your CPU.

[This message has been edited by -Psyduck- (edited 02-19-2000).]
    www.seven-internet.co.uk

jee..thanks for u'r help dude..

ashish

It sound to like your scsi card cant handle the 83mhz FSB. Thats what crashed your HDD

------------------
    You did what to who's dog for how many jellybeans?
    You did what to whos' dog for how many jellybeans?

my celly runs 622 fine at 2.2v. i'm runnin 2 12v@5amp peltiers and liquid coolin them.my system temp is about 12C...its stable to about 690 but from 650-690ish my bf6 piece'o'**** won't enable the 1/3 pci and i toasted 2 very new western digital hard drives. but i can run it stable all the way to 690@2.3v but it hot, about 26C...(conservative cache settings too..) i wish the 1/3 pci worked from the 80-90 FSB settings..i ran my 366 and confirmed what i was told by others...the 1/3 doesn't work till 92,93 FSB...so my poor western d's where at 45+mhz before there death.!!!

i got my 466@633 using an alpha PAL-6035
    this is at 2.2v and temps at this exact moment are 29c.Do you think i can go higher with a peltier??cos i dont know if its just heat thats stoping me

------------------
    ask not what you can do for your computer...
    more what your
    computer can do for you. *Hint Hint*

i don't think that it's my scsi card (or maybe it is)
    cuz the very first time when i overclocked it...i could actually load up windows..but win would crash say after 20mins. (and then after abt 2-3 boot ups .. some of the system files got stuffed..so i had to reinstall win again (and i mean a total reinstall)...

after the 2nd reinstall i have not been able to boot up at 623mhz (at startup it says that registery is stuffed)
    so this is quite confus'n as i'm not able to reach a solution as to what's the main prob..

but right now 563mhz is smooth *** and i'm just waiti'n for my new dual fan celeron fan...after that comes i'll try and overclock it further

hope it works
    after all we all are addicted overclockers

cold how far into windows can you get if you go higher, will it boot? The peltier lets me boot to above 500@650 but I have trouble with windows cause of this annoying 1/2 PCI. Without it I can't get into windows at 625, but with some errors when it heats up a bit i.e. cruching prime numbers or SETI). I really annoyed about the 1/3 PCI. The manual is so sly about it as well.
    www.seven-internet.co.uk

hey duck
    well to be honest...when i first overclocked it to 623mhz...win was smooth as a baby..i ran scandisk for say 15 mins and then started runn'n defrag but it was at this point that it crased...so bummer

umm CAN someone pls explain me what's overclok'n got to do with PCI and AGP speeds..and also expain me this 1/3 and 1/2 options that u can choose in the bios..pls pls pls

thanks

Thread Information