Hey NiteOwl, Big Lar.................
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Hey NiteOwl, Big Lar.................

Hey NiteOwl, Big Lar.................

I tried something today that I hoped would help with the occasional blue screen errors I keep getting when trying at to get it stable above 921mhz. It seemed starnge as It would run quake 3 for hours and 3D mark without any crashes, but would blue screen just sitting idle in windows or usings IE.

As you know the Alpha + Peltier = Dimm slot 3 only on the BF6. I thought that might be causing the problem so I cut away enough of the Alpha's fins to enable me to use Dimm 1.

Now at 970mhz stable and no blue screen yet I'll try higher if this is stable, remember this is with lower power to the new peltier
    Running at 8C to 14C

Regards BladeRunner

hmmm ... interesting ... I have thought about cutting away that part of the alpha too ... maybe I need to buy a dremel after all. Thanks for the info.

NiteOwl

Damn quick reply man!!,

As I'm in motoracing I'd love to be able to say I used something technical like a laser cutter, but all I did was bend the fin at the right place and it snaps of fairly clean as it is a casting and therefore quite brittle. Use a small file to tidy it up. It doesn't appear to get any hotter.

BladeRunner

Great idea, But I found/ on this board anyhow that I can run in 1 & 3... I don't get any registry errors now I have a bit of an update for you 2,,, I stopped at Radio shack today to pick up some thermal grease, as I was running out. I saw a Power Supply on the shelf, and reviewed the output etc... Long story short, it's an external, puts out 13.8 amps dc.. at 10 amps continuos...I run at 910 most of the time, when web browsing and what not, and I took a screen shot of mobo monitor, if either of you would like to see it... at an idle/ my cpu temp is now from -26 to -30C,,,, As we know/ the Ice71 is maxxed at 16.1 volts and 7.9 amps... I believe this is as close to max efficiency I can get for the $... Also/ It's running the pelt on my G400 also LMK if ya wanna see the temps...

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Hey Big Lar I guess you have sold your fridge, as you can make Ice cubes on your cold plate now .Do send me the temps in a mail and your cold plate setup specs please,I'd be interested.

I only have the choice of 12 volts from the comp psu or 18v from the ham radio psu. I don't want to kill another peltier so I might see if I can get the ham psu reduced to 16 volts by a radio repair shop.

What volts are you running now I'm at 1.75, can you get a gig now? what happens when you go to high? blue screens or what??? Oh questions! questions!!

BladeRunner

I'm back to the asus/ and I can run stable at 975, but the board is maxxed out, I run at 910 daily, as I don't like to run out of spec as far as 975 takes me/ On the via board, I posted at 1008, and got halfway to windows.. but it just rebooted... Since I switched over to win98 SE, I havn't seen 1 blue screen... Guess that helps alot.. I'm at 1.75 setting in bios, But mobo monitor shows 1.78 or 79... Go figure/lol I'll email the temps... oops/ forgot.. I have a 3/16"x4"x1 3/4" copper cold plate....Got it from online metals, and cut it down to 1 3/4" as 2" was too wide to insulate properly..

------------------

I think the P3BF does run everything (voltage) a bit high. I picked up a dremel today! I am gonna cut more holes, saw a few hs fins, and move my ram to a different slot. I wasn't gonna say this til I had it stable, but I can almost run @ 975 MHz too ... I can run SETI for 2 minutes before I get the blue screen of death. But that was with my Asus. I am running a soyo 6ba+III right now, and I can't even get into w98se @ 975 with that. But strangely, I can run @ 910 Mhz with RAM at 2-2-2 with the soyo but not either asus or abit. If I have positive results, I'll let you guys know.

NITOWL/ I couldn't run 3dmark2000 before/ until I got the new power supply/ I just tried it and it went thru no prob/ with a 12.7% Oc on my G400 max to boot... < at 975 > The extra cooling is what made the difference.... I have the results/ Ya wanna see em???

------------------

Big Lar, I trust you. But if you still want to show off your benchmarks, go ahead, be proud (in the good sense). What p/s were you running before?

sorry ... I forgot you pick up a new ps from radio shack ... maybe I will track down one myself, but the radio shacks in canada sucks! I went to one, asked the guy about thermal grease and he looked at me funny like I was from mars or somethin'

I was using my original Inwin That came with my tower for the Peltiers,,, it's a 300 watt.The 1 i got today is an external from Radio Shack/100 bucks... It puts out that extra bit more that I needed.

------------------

funny ... I have an Inwin full tower with 300 watt ps, you have a Inwin with 300 watt ps ... I have a 650e, you have a 650e ... I have a alpha, you have a alpha ... I have HSDRAM, you have HSDRAM ... I have peltier from Tetech, you have peltier from Tetech ... I have a P3BF, you have a P3BF ... freaky ...

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 02-19-2000).]

Great minds think alike!
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

I love this fast machine. I'm listening to a CD, downloading MP3's from Napster, Surfin' BBS'S etc., sending E-mails and monitoring system performance.

These rigs kick ***!
    If you lived here, you'd be home by now...

You have Hsdram?? Must be nice to be rich/lol I'm stuck here with my lowly old Corsair.....

------------------

Thread Information