SETI, OCTANE and the Law
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SETI, OCTANE and the Law

SETI, OCTANE and the Law

Well, it turns out that the command line symbology is somewhat limitted, such that ANY failure to satisfy the exe(*), and launch WU processing returns "no such account". So failure to type account info correctly, overburdenned SETISERVER, lousy file/directory structure, and anything else that keeps exe(*) from proceeding beyond account generation/verification returns the same statement. Unix users may be reminded of "permission denied".
    BTAIM: first Octane WU- 1:52:06. And I think I can get this down from here. The R12k cannot compete with the FPU of the newer Alpha chips. But I will see what can be done.

Good Lode thats fast!

I was just wondering where you got an octane system and if it is yours personally or an employers'. What does one of those machines run these days ($)?

------------------
    Close Windows and Open Doors.

"There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I am jealous...

I wish I could use our IBM S80s we got in December as those things would kick *** - but I doubt I would be able to run SETI even 20 mins before getting fired...

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

I'm lucky enough to be a neurosurgeon and director of a program that needs and experiments with major computer horsepower. The Octanes (plural) are not mine, but I am their guardian (administrator). As they are currently configured, they run from around 28k to 34.5k. I review the SETI fastest times and see the Alpha chips around 1 hr for a WU.
    Yet I am far more empressed and awed with what members of this BB have done with INTEL and AMD stuff that costs a mear fraction of the cost of these systems. I'd love to put one of these SGI's in the hands of the more experienced OCers on this BB. Imagine OCing one of these babies. I'd get fired too, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about condensation puddles any more than they do at Chernobl. I will be figuring out how to OC a twin xeon 800/ 840 system and will report to the BB about the possibilities of RMDRam for overclockers. As it is, it is useless for standard 400/133 MHz busses.

DMMD feel free to join our seti team at
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_57947.html
    we take all voluterers in whit open arms

------------------
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    There are those who think, and those who dream, But I, for one, refuse to choose between the two!
    Xriz`s Place

I work for my lowly government - we have quite decent hardware, S70 & S80 are not exactly slow, even the older and slower F40s do 1 WU every 4 to 5 hrs when run at the priority 39 (absolute lowest).
    OCing the F40s is kinda easy too and I bet the S70/80s are not difficult either...heat is not a great problem as the ventilation installed in these systems is absolute overkill, the CPUs rarely go over 23C, room temperature (regulated 16.75C).

It would be fun to OC all the servers then run SETI on them at maximum priority as a "going away present" :->

------------------

Thread Information