-ASUS P3CE , AGP4X, i820, UDMA66
    -HD Seagate Barracuda 17 Gb
    -ASUS V3800C TNT2 32Mb SDRAM
    -Win 98 ver 4.10, DirectX 7.0

-My CPU current temp is 116C (loading), 46C normal
    -My Motherboards, 38-43C

Questions
    =========
    1. Can I overclock my PC?, to what extent? (max overclock to ?)
    2. What is the best Heatsink for PII450?
    3. If my PII450 overclocked, will my motherboard be OK?
    4.What is the "Normal range" temperature for PII450 and MB ASUS P3CE? (overclocked and non-verclocked)?

Please advise me.

Regards,

Icabola

[This message has been edited by Icabola (edited 02-15-2000).]

You really don't know how high you can go til you try. I had a PII 400 and when I decased it, the holes lined up with the holes on a PIII so I first used a generic dual fan/hs and later an Alpha (in my opinion still the best fan/hs). With typical cooling you can expect temps around the high 30's (C). With an Alpha you can expect temps around the high 20's to low 30's. If your temperature at max load is 116c, then I am surprise you haven't damaged your CPU yet (you sure you don't mean 116 f? That sounds more reasonalbe). I wouldn't ever have my CPU go over 45 C. Your mobo should be okay, and it's temps should be in the low to mid 20's, but that really depends on your ambient and case temperature. But I have heard the P3CE isn't the most stable mobo in the world. Another thing with your mobo is when your FSB is at 133 Mhz, your SDRAM is only running at 100 Mhz, so I am not sure why you got PC 133 RAM (for the future, I guess). BTW, my PII 400 went upto 560 Mhz.

Mail me here:-

jonathan.spencer@ukonline.co.uk

and I'll send you some Overclocking basics.

1. yes but It depends on a lot of things check out my basics mail.

2. Best is a difficult thing to say as it can be system dependant as to what you can use. have a look here www.3dfxcool.com for some ideas

3. Yes

4. 116C are you sure that is above the boiling point of water, I think it would crash long before getting that high and start to melt. what are you using to get that reading.

5. Go here and get Motherboard Monitor
    & Rain http://get.to/octools they are both freeware

Motherboard monitor tells you well, just about everything and rain will cool your Cpu like magic. put it in the start up folder or a shortcut to it.

You can get a lot out of overclocking if you do it right and have a little luck as well:-

my system

PIII 700Mhz @ 988Mhz (7x140fsb @ 1.75v)
    Abit BF6
    256mb PC133 Mushkin 5ns
    Geforce 256 Annihilator Pro DDR (345/145)
    Soundblaster Live
    Wyn Doze 98 SE
    (300Watt P\S)

Alpha 3125 with Tom Lufkins 50 watt peltier @ 18 volts with a **** load of large fans,(I've lost count) ....CPU -10C to -3C....Sys 24C to 26C....Geforce 42C to 56C

Regards BladeRunner

Hi,

a) Do you know what DIMM Riser in P3CE use for? Is it good for my SDRAM? (improve performance ect?)

b) Do you know where to buy RAMBUS/RIMM PC800/700/600? How expensive for 256Mb?

Please answer

Regards

Icabola

the RAM riser is for convertion from SRAM to DRDRAM so you can use your old SDRAM in a mobo that only supports DRDRAM. The P3CE only has DRDRAM slot, right? And the P3C2000 only has SDRAM slot, right? The RAM riser won't improve performance at all. DRDRAM is like at least 5 times more expensive than SDRAM. You do the math.

BLADERUNNER PLEASE ANSWER.
    ==========================

Originally posted by BladeRunner:
    Mail me here:-

jonathan.spencer@ukonline.co.uk

and I'll send you some Overclocking basics.

1. yes but It depends on a lot of things check out my basics mail.
    A: I will! ASAP

2. Best is a difficult thing to say as it can be system dependant as to what you can use. have a look here www.3dfxcool.com for some ideas
    A: THANKS

3. Yes
    A: I got my first experince in TX97E, MMX166, SDRAM PC66 Visipro, PCI TNT 16Mb, Waterfall and Rain and o-Clocked to MMX210, but within 6mts my motherboard get sucked and wrecked! But my other parts still fine, Can you tell me the simple relationship and how?

4. 116C are you sure that is above the boiling point of water, I think it would crash long before getting that high and start to melt. what are you using to get that reading.
    I am using ASUS Probe Utility + Rain 1.0 loaded.It is true, while I play QuakeIII

5. Go here and get Motherboard Monitor
    & Rain http://get.to/octools they are both freeware
    A: Can I get freeware for Waterfall Pro?

Motherboard monitor tells you well, just about everything and rain will cool your Cpu like magic. put it in the start up folder or a shortcut to it.

You can get a lot out of overclocking if you do it right and have a little luck as well:-

my system

PIII 700Mhz @ 988Mhz (7x140fsb @ 1.75v)
    Abit BF6
    256mb PC133 Mushkin 5ns
    Geforce 256 Annihilator Pro DDR (345/145)
    Soundblaster Live
    Wyn Doze 98 SE
    (300Watt P\S)

A: WOW!!!!

Alpha 3125 with Tom Lufkins 50 watt peltier @ 18 volts with a **** load of large fans,(I've lost count) ....CPU -10C to -3C....Sys 24C to 26C....Geforce 42C to 56C

A: What is peltier use for?

Regards BladeRunner

Thank you for your kind assistance to me, anyway I am new and just know little bit about 0-clocking.

regards

Icabola

Hey, you don't trust me? My system isn't too shabby either ... 650e @ 910 Mhz (on P3BF) and 949 Mhz (on BF6) with an Alpha, 65 watt peltier and idles at 5 c. I am hurt ... I think I will go and stand in a corner now.

Peltier's are an electronic device that when induced by a current will make one side cold the other damn hot. a Peltier's, (also known as a TEC), performance will increase in proportion to the voltage and current you supply, up to it's max limits. It's efficiency will increase if you can effectively remove the heat it creates.

Water cooling is best for doing this and that is next for my setup , Don't
    consider a peltier yet you need to understand more about the whole overclocking subject first.

Condensation has to be managed or you will damage the CPU & or Mobo.

BladeRunner

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 02-15-2000).]

Let me just state for the record that None of us have all the answers, and we are still learning stuff all the time. I might not have got that high with my system without NiteOwls input.

NiteOwl Don't take it personally I put my replies in a numbered question type way and I think Icabola was answering / replying to that. Remember moderators have to bite their tounge

BladeRunner

hey bladerunner- what is the best way to manage condensation on a socket370 celeron? my 466@582 is cooled by an alpha/50watt TEC, and when running rain v2.0 at idle the cpu temp is in the mid teens...
    normally my cpu is constantly being heavily used(either SETI or 3d games) but during the recent server problem with SETI my computer sat unused for a while with rain going and no cpu usage. The temps dropped into the low teens, and BLAM! I walked into the room and I saw the BSOD! I tried rebooting, but i got no video and lots of mobo error beeps, after I took the cpu off the board, I saw that there was water droplets on the cpu, and water IN the socket!, I dried everything off and luckily it is working fine...I know, I lucked out.
    now i am scared to run rain because of potential server problems from seti, incase I'm not home to catch it in time.
    I have installed a foam gasket that seals the cpu socket/cpu/cold plate/peltier, but evidently that wasn't enough. Any suggestions from you guys? thanks

millenko

I won't talk out of turn here as I've not had any experiance of the socket 370 design.

have a look at this thread:-

http://www.force3d.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000077.html

What you need to do, as I'm sure you know is keep any air away from the area that gets cold. It needs to be sealed air tight. Quite how you do this with the socket design is trial and error unfortunally.

I've always prefered the slot 1 design, and I use a high density foam and fish tank silicon. Appears to work but a bit of a pain to remove.

Regards BladeRunner

i guess that any silicone will work, I cant think of any that would be electrically conductive...hmm, I read somewhere that one guy installed his cpu in front of a hot oven in order to fill the cavity with dry air...hmm...thanks for the help and the link

Bladerunner, I am just having some fun .... I am not that fragile .... hahaha .... if I were that fragile, then I am in big trouble.

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 02-15-2000).]

Hi

NITE OWL + BLADERUNNER THANKS TO BOTH OF EWE!
    =================

I would like to thank for guiding me...!

Regards

Icabola

LOL millenko when I said I installed my PC in the oven I was taking the piss. Actually I used one of those penis extension vacuum pumps to suck every last molecule of water of of my cpu. I then stuck it in the oven to burn it in, whilst cooking my dinner .

[This message has been edited by -Psyduck- (edited 02-16-2000).]
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Pokemon love to overclock

Thread Information