Don't laugh.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Don't laugh.

Don't laugh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have done very little with a computer. I decided that could handle a mobo swap. So I swapped my EX (yes circa 1996) for a abit be6-2. The only prob is my sorry compusa PC had the output for the monitor built into the MOBO and the abit does not. I think the output is COM2 but the com2 on the abit wont plug in (diffrent plugs). What can I do. I am not even sure if the mobo swap was good because I can't plug in the monitor. I know its probably the dumbest post you have ever read but I could use the help.
    Jared

Finally got the 600e and the Global win VOS32. Now I need some good ram...

the only reason why a monitor would be plugged into a motherboard was it if it had on board video. You need to plug your monitor into a video card. You need to get a video card. A V3 2000 for $90 is your bestbuy. You also probably don't have a sound card either. My old motherboard had onboard sound so when I got a new one, the only way I could hear sounf was from the USB port.
    Dude, where's my car?

DR: Ehhhh??? the com2 is NOT!!!! a monitor-plug, the monitor goes into an 15-pin d-sub, which is totally different from a com-port. U need to get a VGA card, which plugs into either the pci or agp. These cards range from $30 to $500. V3 is a good cheap choice, or Geforce (more expensive).

------------------
    Anyone got a cpu running at 666?

The COM2 port is a communications port for modems, direct cable connect, etc. It can't send the signal to the moniter. You need a special card for graphics. The plugs may look similar, but the graphics card will have a plug with 15 pins, instead of 9.

Your CompUSA will probably have some graphics cards for pretty cheap. I don't know about the quality of their graphics cards, because I don't have a CompUSA around here, but you'll probably get a few posts here telling you of the good and bad ones.

I personally use ATI's xpert128 and it does a great job for what I need, which is DVD playback, and some 3d games. I think it's somewhere around US $90.

ok. Your old motherboard video chip built into it, this allowed you to run your monitor. The BE6-2 does not have this chip built into it, it require a seperate card (graphics card) that plugs into the motherboard in order to use your monitor.

The COM2 is not for monitors, it is for modems and printers, it only has 9-pins. A monitor plug has 15 pins and goes in a VGA socket which is for monitors only. This is contained on the graphics card.

You should be able to pick up a cheap graphics card for about $20-$30 it will have an AGP connector for your motherboard and the VGA socket.

I am intrigued what drove you to buy a new motherboard? Did you buy new Ram and CPU as well?

Hang on is this a wind up. Circa 1996. That would mean your ram was SIMMs and the CPU socket 7. None of which would be compatible. Do you expect to run the motherboard as a PC.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Very intriging
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Pokemon love to overclock

Hey thanks fo the replys. I appreciate you helping a sorry case like myself. I got the PC as a gift and I knew it was crap, its got a 233 celly for Christs sake. But I figured I could use the case and the 64mb pc-100 ram(weird in such a crappy cpu huh? guess they might have upgraded that) I have about 500 buckaroos to blow on this thing, (well after the board I have $375) to at least improve it a little. I can get a "gently" used V3 3000 for about $130. It it worth the extra 40 bucks or so? Once again I appreciate the help.

Jared

Its funny but as of a week ago I didn't know squat about a PC. I know how to cruise the web on my dads PC, play half-life and thats about it. I have been studying all week reading this group and others to get somewhat of a clue as to what is going on. In fact this is my first post on this group. So I know an abit is fairly good and fairly stable and probably the easiest to use from reading around so I bought it. That doesn't mean I have a clue that my old MOBO had an onboard graphics chip. I do know that it was PPGA 370 and I bought the SLOTKey so it will work. Also I am getting a Celeron 400 to keep me entertained until the Coppermines drop in price (around April) I had planned on getting a 3dcard but I guess I should get it now and not later. Right now I feel like I am 16 again with my car parked in the driveway with a cracked block. Do I have a clue how to pull a motor or how to put one in? Nope. But I better learn how because I can't afford for anyone else to do it. Thats how it is with this PC. So its just a f**k up now and learn later.

Jared

If the CPU is a celly then it would have to be at least 266. If you mean second hand by gently used then this is too much. You would be better off getting a V2000 there only $90-$100 new and offer very simular performance if you can sacrifice the TV out.

If you want to upgrade CPU then I would go with another celeron. You can pick up a 500 for about $120

That would leave you with $120 to spend on something else such as a sound card and TV card or a new hard drive.
    www.seven-internet.co.uk
    Pokemon love to overclock

Hey Jared, I was once in your situation with both the car and the computer Don't worry the story has a happy ending.

Actually I bought the motherboard that was best suited for me without even knowing it.
    They say a little hard work never killed anyone...but why take the risk?

hmmm... 233mhz processor.... hmmm...

as far as i know they didn't make cellys in 233... and they didn't have socket370 cellys until... well... not in 96...

i'm thinkin's it's a pentium233.

maybe you're confused a little bit.

the p2/celerons were originally a slot1 interface, not s370. but, the socket7 and the socket 370 look similar.

it's late... my mind is kinda fryin'....

can anyone translate for me?

------------------
    da jig isz up...

i'm so upset lately...
    i'm contemplating www.cybersuicide.com

da jig isz up...

Hey DR if you want a good all around video card, then get an ATI AllinWonder. Its the best all around card. If you are for better gaming, I would reccomend the Viper 2. (I love it. Im the only person running one. It doesnt have great drivers yet though.) If you want top of the line, you a Creative Labs Anniolator Pro.

------------------
    No matter what a hooker tells you, there is no sex in the Champagne room.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

it concerns me that from what has been said, it appears that this guy has a socket7 cpu and a slot 1 mobo w/slocket...
    i don't know, but can you even plug a socket 7 into a 370? i know that they look similar, but are they truly physically the same? I don't think so...if you can plug a socket7 cpu into a s370 slocket what kind of damage can you do? maybe this guy should read us the specs off his cpu so maybe we can be a little more educated as to what he needs to do...
    also, DO NOT buy a used v3 for $130...i only paid 115 for mine brand new
    so if you read this again DR. read off the specs on your cpu.
    I know how it is to be just starting to learn about computers, i started about 2 years ago and have learned a lot, but i still have a long way to go! Keep at it, but be careful, this stuff is expensive!

I guess you can slap my *ss and call me shirly. The cpu is 266. And after looking at my old board and the old set-up it was a slot 1. So the 10 bucks I blew on the adaptor is gone. Where do I get the number for the cpu? Where did you get a V3 3000 for 115 new?

Jared

I haven't messed with any slot 1 processors so I can't tell you exactly where to get the numbers, they should be on the main chip in the center...
    go to www.pricewatch.com, I just checked there and they have v3 3k's for <$110
    i bought mine locally(houston, Tx) about a month ago.

Thread Information