I still can't reach 600 even with really low temps....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I still can't reach 600 even with really low temps....

I still can't reach 600 even with really low temps....

MY y PIII 450/560 stays under 20C while idle. Usually around 16-18. After playing half life or running 3dMark 2000 it's only at like 22C or at the most 25C. I dom't know how the temperatures are so low because I'm only using air cooling. Anyway, the only way it will reach 600 is with the cache disabled. Does this mean my cache is to warm? It's a SL364 Malay PIII 450. I checked out the CPU database and people had good luck with this batch of processors. Anyone got any ideas?
    Dude, where's my car?

ok what kind of ram do you have and what kind of video card? what's your mb type?
    I could not get past 558 with pc100, now i got pc133 and i'm crusing at 630..

agp aparture size was set at 4mb in bios...
    after a month of running like that i now can run aparture at 64mb...go figure...
    it's a tnt viper 550

[This message has been edited by Ravan (edited 02-13-2000).]

PIII 450/560 SL364
    Iwill Vd133 (Via appollo pro)
    128mb PC-100 (came with a dell computer)
    V3 2000@185mhz
    No sound card yet(I use USB)
    Dude, where's my car?

You need to up the volt a little bit, I had to take mine to 2.4 before it would stabilize at 600 (P3 450 SL3CC week 11)

The most important factor when o/c'ing a Katmai (and other CPU's) is the L2 cache. If people had good success with this particular batch of PIII 450, it was probably because that batch of PIII 450 had 3.6 or 3.3 ns cache. Check your cache chips and look for the last two digits. If it's 4, then tuff luck (I am not saying you won't get there, but it's gonna be much more difficult). If it's 3.6 or 3.3, and since your problem isn't thermal, then it most likely is your RAM. Have you try setting all your RAM stuff to 3-3-3 and maybe up your I/O voltage to 3.6? That helps sometimes.

NiteOwl, what's that RAM stuff 3-3-3?

CAS latency, CAS to RAS and stuff. Just make sure you change them to 3. You do lose some performance, but they are very small (less than 1% if I remember correctly). It is under your BIOS usually Chipset. But you know what? I forgot that you had a Apollo mobo. Can you run your RAM asynchronous with your RAM at 100 Mhz (FSB minus PCI) and your FSB at 133 MHz? If this still doesn't work, then it's not your RAM. This way you should be able to isolate your problem.

are you running your computer in a meat-locker? 16C=60F!!! and you said that you have no extra cooling?

maybe you are reading your mobo temperature instead of your CPU temps.

Nope, Im reading the right temperatures. System temperature stays at 25-30. Cpu temperature 19-25. Thats what it says under the bios and when using hardware doctor. I do have extra cooling. I'm using a vantec fan and heatsink. Yes I can run my ram at 100mhz while the rest runs at 133. I will play around with it more.
    Dude, where's my car?

Originally posted by CAsponger:
    Nope, Im reading the right temperatures. System temperature stays at 25-30. Cpu temperature 16-25. Thats what it says under the bios and when using hardware doctor. I do have extra cooling. I'm using a vantec fan and heatsink. Yes I can run my ram at 100mhz while the rest runs at 133. I will play around with it more.
    Dude, where's my car?

I'm not sure where that last post came from.
    Dude, where's my car?

I am not trying to start an argument because i have no way of knowing the truth of the matter, it's just that unless your room is that cool, there is no way for your processor to be that cool without active cooling, TEC, waterblock etc...
    It is impossible for a passive heatsink/fan to lower temps below room temperature...

Thread Information