Woohoo!!! 8hr 20min SETI time with a celly!!!(also, what's up with the SETI servers?)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woohoo!!! 8hr 20min SETI time with a celly!!!(also, what's up with the SETI servers?)

Woohoo!!! 8hr 20min SETI time with a celly!!!(also, what's up with the SETI servers?)

just finished my latest work unit...8 hr. 20 min!!! not bad for a celly eh? OK, so it's not up there with the athlons and pIII, but come on, 83mhz fsb?!! I'm happy anyway...

anyone else having problemms connecting to the seti servers? mine will finish a work unit and say that it cannot contact the seti server, and that it will retry in a hour. then it will download the WU no problem...hmm, are there that many people running seti now? maybe we need to put our collective computing power to use somewhere else, are there any other distributed computing projects out there worthy of our attention?

I am having problem with the server too ... Infact, at this moment, SETI's website is down too. However, since I was tinkering with different versions of SETI before, I have downloaded WU's from before and I am manually "d/l" new WU for SETI ... hehhee ... maybe I will catch up to some of you guys after all .... when SETI goes back up, I will probably have 10+ WU sitting on my HD.

dammit dammit dammit...I'm losing ground as I type this...damn you, infernal seti server!!! still can't login...

One of my puters is waiting on seti and my other one is almost done, starting to piss me off again. Wonder what thier problem is this weekend, thats two nites in a row ive had trouble with thier server.

Seti server is still down.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

I have that problem too, plus I lost a combined 100% with 2 instances when I loset my stuff AGAIN. I still can't upload the one I did on the P2 333 in 12.9 hours!! Maybe it uploaded but it sure won't d/l.
    I'm not racist! I have a color TV!

www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

What a godsend, I Cleared out my CMOS and forgot to change my date and time. You will never beleive what happened. I was working on a WU and it was about 50% complete when I pulled the BONNER . My cpu hours jumped from ~7 hours to ~150 hrs.:O:O It would have been tought to bring that into the avg. The WU is just now back to where I started.

Whis I could get my celly in the single digits. Great JOB

[This message has been edited by B/K (edited 02-13-2000).]

I'm assuming Seti@home is still down. I used to use it but deleted it cuz it wouldn't complete blocks in a decent time while running on a P120

Now that I'm running 500mhz I'm sure I can crack the blocks faster.

Anyone know of a website other than http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ where I can d/l the seti@home screen saver so I can get work at cracking the blocks?

Thx

Zen

------------------
    Email Jp7@Crosswinds.Net
    URL http://www.crosswinds.net/jp7

"There is no pain you are receding, The distance ship smokes on the horizon. You are only coming through in waves, Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying........... I have become Comfortably Numb."
    Load*,8,1
    FlySpek@Telocity.Com

<< I fought for AnandTech and was killed by friendly fire >>

It Will Always Be Remembered: http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=160931

You can download Seti from my site ftp://63.224.22.117 under Programs directory. But I doubt you will be able to download any packets to crunch until the Seti site is back up.

[This message has been edited by MasterMind (edited 02-13-2000).]
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

dammit!!! with seti being down, I forgot to disable rain, duh!!! well, to make a long story short, rain dropped the cpu temps down to ~15C, WELL below the dewpoint here in the houston area...you can guess what happened then, random errors, then the computer wouldn't even restart, after a quick dissasemble, i found water on the coldplate and the top of the processor, after removing the processor, i found water in the pin slots...dammit!!! I dried everything off, and luckily it fired back up and is working normally...anyone know of something that I could use instead of seti to keep my rpocessor usage above 25%? right now I'm looping mp3's with a cpu intensive background visual...haha

I would run my peltier at 5v instead.

SETI-Servers aren't down - they have limited the number of max. conns really heavily, probably due to some problems - I have no problem getting work-units as I have a script that rotates downloads for my machines - It managed to grab a few each day (about 12), which is enough to keep my faster machines fed - the slower ones sometimes loose out - too bad.

Keep trying - then again if you all keep trying every few mins instead of every few hours, the SETI site might really have problems....

Also, I have noticed another "problem" for us in the near future - when I started SETI back in the "really early" days (August), we were crunching units around 2 years old - I cant remember precicely, but I was like thinking "whoa, ancient stuff" - now they are only a few months old...on avg - I still get an "oldie" (> 12 months) once in a while, but basically they are now around 3 months old - are we gonna run out of work units?

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Doesnt mobo monitor 4.12 have something to raise the temp of your cpu, so that condesation doesnt form?

hey millenka, you're using a socketed processor?

if you don't want condensation on the pins of your processor, take the processor out (ok if you stop there, that will work too...but)

smear a MASSIVE glob of vaseline all over the pins and make sure you have a GOOD helping on there...this seals the processor so that water can't leak into the socket and thus cause it to f___ up like it did before.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Close Windows and Open Doors.

"There are only two things that are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

RICH i'am going to pass you soon..
    just stepaside..
    Did your putter die..??

EC-PC
    PC-EC

------------------
    AMD INSIDE IT'S A WINDOWS WORLD< GET USE TO IT..BeOS a strong 2nd
    Junior Member for life EC-PC

Thread Information