Should I get more cooling when running at 112mhz?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Should I get more cooling when running at 112mhz?

Should I get more cooling when running at 112mhz?

Right now I'm oc my K6-2 450 to 505mhz by increasing the bus speed to 112mhz.

Aopen AX59 Pro Mobo says that it runs fine at 112mhz but my Mobo Manager says the temp (with Rain running) is 38-40 but when I run a high graphic program like quake 2 (which I do often) the temperature goes up above 55 degrees celcius. I know this is bad for the processor and I am not sure what kind of cooling I need.

I have a real good heatsink/fan although I'm not sure what the name is. It's a oversized heatsink with a fan that blows A LOT of air!

I've seen those turbine fans that go in the pci or isa slot position, do those help?

Should I put my clock speed back to 100mhz bus?

Thanks in advance

Zen

------------------
    Email Jp7@Crosswinds.Net
    URL http://www.crosswinds.net/jp7

"There is no pain you are receding, The distance ship smokes on the horizon. You are only coming through in waves, Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying........... I have become Comfortably Numb."
    Load*,8,1
    FlySpek@Telocity.Com

<< I fought for AnandTech and was killed by friendly fire >>

It Will Always Be Remembered: http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=160931

Zen

Those AMD's do tend to run hot, but my PII 350 at 501 was not far away about 48C max and that's still going strong.

Have you got some thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU? if not get some and remove any thermal tape if there is some. Other than that, a Better heatsink or bigger fans. I don't know. What's the system temp? Does it go down with the covers off?

What you have to decide in the end is, do you notice the extra speed? and if so are you using it? If not clock it back a bit. 55C max is not that dangerous but I would like it lower if it were mine.

BladeRunner

Sterling_Aug Guest
    Fans are cheap and a good quick fix for improved cooling when overclocking.

>Have you got some thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU?

I don't think so, I had a friend who put the processor and fan and all in for me. I could've done it myself but he offered to help and I was busy. Can I get some of this thermal paste online? I doubt the local computer stores sell it.

>if not get some and remove any thermal tape if there is some.

No clue what thermal tape is, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any of that either.

>What's the system temp? Does it go down with the covers off?

With the motherboard manager I got that was off of Aopen's website, I only get the cpu temperature. I haven't tested with the covers off yet while running rain, but when I had the covers off it was at a steady 112 degrees fahrenheit and when i put the covers on it was the same. Then I ran rain and the temp dropped dramatically.

>What you have to decide in the end is, do you notice the extra speed? and if so are you using it?

I do notice the extra speed and I use it whenever I load a graphic intense game like Quake 2 or Half Life. I have my Voodoo 2 12 Meg clocked normal at 75 mhz @ 800x600 and I get an increase in about 10 fps since I overclocked the processor.

Thanks for the advice, I guess getting one of those fans won't hurt and are decently cheap. I seen some kind of fans that go into the cdrom slot but I heard that was only used for hard drive cooling.. Wish there was some kind of fan that goes there that blows the entire system.

Thanks again,

Zen

------------------
    Email Jp7@Crosswinds.Net

"There is no pain you are receding, The distance ship smokes on the horizon. You are only coming through in waves, Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying........... I have become Comfortably Numb."
    Load*,8,1
    FlySpek@Telocity.Com

It Will Always Be Remembered: http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=160931

Zen

What you are trying to do is transfer as much heat from the CPU to the heatsink where it can be more easily removed it to the surounding air. Thermal tape is a conductive tape that is softish and is designed to give better heat transfer. Unfortunatly I've never found it works very well.

A thin layer of thermal paste or grease Usually works much better as It fills up the small scratches or imperfections between the surfaces. Some go even further and Lap the two mating surfaces to a mirror finish. It is debatable whether this is really worth the effort or risk on the CPU, but If you do it RIGHT and well it certianly can't hurt.

you will find thermal Grease at any heatsink / peltier web site like:- 3dfxcool.com or stores like Tandy, Maplin, or Radio Shack should have it. There is also many different grades of this paste but I won't even go there.

Like Sterling_Aug said get some bigger fans or a slot type fan. Not sure what they call the thing, but if you can get it in a fan that blows out of a narrow oblong slot across the heat sink fins as well as a good one blowing down should really help.

You can use any fan anywhere it just depends how inventive you are making brackets and fitting it in. Cable ties work well as the fan doesn't have to be clamped down rigid as long as it can't move enough for the blades to fowl anything an it doesn't move to much from where it is needed, it wont matter. I've got a 120mm cable tied to my Alpha 3125 & a 92mm blowing across the fins, works very well.

Get a couple of fans and some themal grease, polish the heasink mating face to a mirror with T-cut & car polish, (not the CPU unless you are brave), and let me know the results. I'd be interested. If you have to touch the CPU to clean the remains of thermal tape off the make sure you are earthed at all times. I have an earth bracelet that I plug into the Earth pin from the mains so I know I'm always earthed when working with static senitive equipment.

Regards BladeRunner

I ordered some paste along with two fans that go in my pci slots. I have 2 empty ones so I figure I'd get two different kinds. I am also trying to get some Thermal Compound from the same company but I'm waiting for an email back from them.

I'll try it and let you know my results. Oh by the way I'm running 2.4 volts which I think has something to do with the extra heat. I tried 2.2 volts but I kept getting blue error screens. There is no information in my mobo manual about changing it to 2.3 volts NOR 2.4 volts, I just got lucky and accidentally set it to 2.4 when I meant to put it to 2.2 =) Hopefully I can drop the temp down where it will be satisfactory.

Zen

------------------
    Email Jp7@Crosswinds.Net

Load*,8,1
    FlySpek@Telocity.Com

Sterling_Aug Guest
    Radio Shack sells heat sink compound, and you can get some stuff that is almost as good called tune up grease at any auto parts supply. It is thermal dielectric.

Increasing voltage increases the heat generated. Increasing the clock speed also increases the heat generated:

Doubling voltage, quadruples the heat produced. Doubling the speed, doubles the heat produced, so in your case your CPU is producing 33% more heat than it was before (at 450Mhz).

Bear in mind that the CPU produces heat - but VGA cards and HDDs are notorious heat producers. They warm up the air around them, which warms up the air around your CPU, which warms up your CPU, so you need to get this air out of the casing and have it replaced with cooler air from the room.
    If your VGA card gets quite warm, putting one of those PCI-Slot fans next to it will help, as it will eliminate a lot of the the heat that card produces - the same goes for HDDs.

The next step it to get a fan that pull cool air into the casing and one fan to push warm air out. Then you should be set.

Try and make sure the air around the chassis moves around - I had my old PC sitting in a corner and the air around the PC was a good 6C warmer than the rest of the room, so the CPU was also 6C warmer as a result - moving it to the floor dropped the CPU temp from 54C to 48C - as an example.

------------------
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //
    // Black Holes are where God divided by zero //

Thread Information