I thought it was PC133???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: I thought it was PC133???

I thought it was PC133???

Help Please
    I finally got my Switech mc370, so I thought I would take my Soyo vba133 and Celly 433 for a spin. My system had been running fine with the stock fan and H/S (78x6.5). It has 15 Seti WU's under its belt. The Dram clock was set for 117 and I had no problem at all. In fact I could bump the FSB to 81 setting the DRAM to 121 and it would run Seti for about 45 minutes before it would crash. However once I installed the new CPU cooler, the display would wigg out on boot up. I had seen this before on an old MAC, and it was caused by the wrong MEM being installed. I backed down the DRAM clock speed and it booted great. I have been running 2 sessions CMDline Seti now for about 20 hours with out a problem. The system while clocked at 83x6.5 (544 MHZ Idle temp 7 deg C), seems to be slower then when I had it set up at 78x6.5 DRAM 117.

Could my SDRAM be less then PC133, or did damage the ram some how? Why would it be so problematic with the new cooler??

Or could it all be in my mind??? Honest I did not inhale

------------------
    Just remember no matter where you go, there you are.
    [This message has been edited by B/K (edited 02-12-2000).]

Another try,
    I need some help, does any at know anything about memory failures or know where I can go to find information concerning memory failures.

I'd tell you to run a search on here, but the search function doesn't work <G>.

I think that there is an FAQ at www.crucial.com.

Sounds like a weird one to me. If you get no Joy at the other site, try posting a message on www.lostcircuits.com as It's a memory specific site and you don't have to register.

MS the main man there once decoded some good generic SDRAM for me, and knows his memory.

BladeRunner

Thanks Blade I will try that. I have some Ideas, I was able to identify which stick was not preforming. The origial set up had all 4 slots taken, when running with 4 128 mgs ram 2 @PC133 and 2@ pc100 cas2 there was not a problem. I was able to hit the higher DRAM settings with out problems, but when I went to just the 2 PC133 sticks I had problems. So I did some problem solving. Identified that one of the PC133 sdram sticks was not able to support the higher speeds, even tho it is rated @PC133. The funny thing is, I popped one of my PC100 cas2 sticks in (now nunning 1x128 PC133 & 1x128 PC100 cas2) and I have been able to hit all of the Hiherd DRAM settings. I picked the PC133 up for the 500e that is on back order.
    Thanks

[This message has been edited by B/K (edited 02-12-2000).]

Balde, great lead. Not only was MS insightful but hes was prompt. This is what he had to say: [quote]
    Bob

There are two things here. First, if the DIMMs are from Crucial, they are true
    Micron parts and the -75 means that the clock cycle time is specified as 7.5 ns
    which is the PC 133 specification (don't get confused with some vendors offering
    6 ns parts because that only refers to the clock access time). The CAS latency
    depends on the speed that you are running at because it is a fixed value for the
    CAS itself which could be e.g. 20 ns and so, if you are running at 100 MHz, it
    would be 2 cycles (10 ns each) if you run faster, you need 3 cycles to strobe
    the column addresses.

Back to the Micron parts. Very often there are generic parts out there that use
    lower grade chips that have been rejected by Micron and are sold to 3rd party
    vendors. Those have been a sore point in the memory business for a long time but
    then, they need not be bad a priori. One thing that is a general feature of the
    PC 133 is that the timing is slightly different from the PC 100 parts and in
    some computers you need to adjust the settings in the BIOS. If you have the
    chance to run it off the SPD, try that one first, if not, try to set it to CAS 2
    but increase the DRAM lead off (if you can) to 4 cycles which gives the chipset
    more time to accept the data.

Also, it does depend on the mainboard. Some of the ABit boards have a memory
    buffer (an additional chip between the chipset and the memory and that often
    screws it up if you are using PC-133 memory.

Hope that helps
    Michael[/qoute]

Thanks for the help vluc & Blade Now what is the SPD?

------------------
    Just remember no matter where you go, there you are.

Thread Information