cleron 466 OC problems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: cleron 466 OC problems

cleron 466 OC problems

've tried to OC my 466 celeron, but something is weird. i'm using an ABIT ZM6 board. i reset the fsb speed to 75, and it posted, but locked when it got into windows. i tried this twice with the same result.

previously, i did the same thing and it worked. i set it back to normal speed.
    then, i enabled DMA to take advantage of my UDMA 33 drive. now it doesn't work. these things seem to be related. there doesn't seem to be anything in the softmenu bios to change the PCI bus speed to around 33 when the fsb is at 75... could this be the problem? any ideas? thanks.

P.S. hard drive is a maxtor, video is from matrox g200 AGP and a PCI voodoo2. memory is real PC100.

ezekiel 25:17

Just wanted to say that you have the name of my youngest cat.

? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Maxtor drives are poor overclockers, and in my experience, I'd just stick with stock til you get a better hard drive. I had a cheap hard drive that died from a defrag at 75MHz fsb, not a month after purchase. This is why the Celeron 366 is such the overclockers dream, because set at 550, it is at a standard bus speed of 100MHz, and any hard drive can handle 100MHz fsb. The 466 is just a 366 (one of the good overclocking ones) that has it's multiplier locked higher, so getting 100MHz fsb out of a 466 is taking it way out of it's potential range. Celerons based on the PII core (as all Celerons are) have a top speed of around 550 to 600MHz. At 466 it should be plenty fast, but if not you can always get a 366 for chep and OC to 550.

------------------
    Bleeding head good! Healed head bad!
    Beware pinkboys....The Stark Fist of Removal cometh nigh! Slack and be free....study the wisdom of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs at www.subgenius.com

Yes, you are right, higher PCI bus speeds, UDMA, and the 5400 rpm Maxtor drive are the cause of your limitation. Most hard drive problems when O/C'ing occur when DMA is enabled. And you have a Maxtor drive, which is one of the worst overclockers (I know, I tried one and had to exchange it for a Western Digital Caviar to run at the 83 MHz FSB). Maxtors are reliable and fast drives at default PCI speed, but can corrupt when O/C'ing, especially when in the UDMA mode. Either get a new hard drive, or be happy at 466 MHz.
    1.Old Antec Case, Asus PC-DL, 2 x 1.6 LV D1 Xeons @ 3 GHz, 2GB Corsair PC3200 @ 200 MHz, Chaintech 6800 128MB AGP

2. Old Crap Beige Case, Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2H, Core i3 530, 4GB CL8 OCZ DDR3-1600, eVGA GTX465

3. Asus Pundit mATX Case, MSI AMD Zacate E350/dual core E350IS-E45 mini-ITX, 4GB CL9 Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1333, LG Blu Ray/HD DVD & DVD Burner

I'm using P3BF and 3 harddisk ( Quantum Fireball EX 6.4G, Maxtor 1.3G, and Conner 80 MB (still using it whatta wrestler!) I did overclock to 75 Mhz, now my PC always runs @ 525, and It worked perfectly, nothing happens, even the Conner 80MB!!
    I'm using my computer everyday, about 5-7 hours each day. Even It's hot about 70C heavy peak, 45C idle (cause my ambient temp is quite high (33C)), but I NEVER had any strange problems with my pC. Btw, I've just bought my PC about 4 months ago, and I runned it every day.

------------------

thanks for the advice. don't know what i'll do yet. maybe going over 466 will wait until i build my next system.
    ezekiel 25:17

Thread Information