Voodoo3 2000 @183mhz stock heatsink
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo3 2000 @183mhz stock heatsink

Voodoo3 2000 @183mhz stock heatsink

I got my V3 2000 agp to run 3dmark 2000 for two hours with no problems. How high do think it will go after I install a V3 stealth cooler from tennmax.
    Dude, where's my car?

Damn you are lucky. My V3 sux! I have the 3000 and it craps out after 5 min's in Q3 (demo mode) at 175 MHz... Actually, from what I've heard I'm more unlucky than you are lucky.

------------------
    MooOoo!
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

Thats funny that you guys bring up the subject of video cards because i put uo a post in the video section asking if anybody had bothered trying to lap their video card, well i went ahead i decided to do it .
    i'll list exactly what i did .
    I bought a heatsink and fan combo at comp usa
    a week or two ago for another project and that fell through,so i so i decided to stick this baby on my v3 2000 pci,which i had oc'd to a solid 175Mhz , well i took off that stock sink which was held on by a glob of thermal compound or whatever they use,if you take yours off you will see why these run hot ,only half of the sink is touching the cpu!wll anyway i lapped the cpu and sink and used just enough super glue to hold it on. and do you know tha small little heatsink at the top of the board that is used to cool the memory ,well i tool a piece of aluminum and cut it to the shape of a square with an extra piece on one corner to attach to the board ,i made the square part big enough to super glue another heatsink to as well ,it was from one of my old 133's well i stuck a fan on that one too , and i am talking to you right now with this baby running at 190Mhz ,now i haven't ran any games on it yet so idon't know how it will act but the voodoo tweeker i use to oc only goes up to 190 so i am going to go download a better one from the tweak files , i'll let you guys know what happened.

I got my Voodoo 3 2000 to 166 MHz, I've got an old processor fan on it. I then clocked it to 143Mhz, coz after benchmarking it ran slower at the higher clock speeds. I'm guessing this is coz it was running hotter, even with the fan, so my question to you is, do you actually get any benefit from overclocking it?????

You won't see much of a difference at lower resolutions ,but at higher resolutions, i can see a big difference in game play , especially from 143MHz to 190Mhz i plated ss2 for about 45 min and no lockups i'm gettin ready to do some 3d mark scores i'll post em later.

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    If you haven't overclocked your CPU and bet you could do over 200Mhz fairly easily. I did 200Mhz before I overclocked my PIII450 to 600Mhz. Now I stay at a safe 170Mhz.

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

No i haven't oc'd this 400 celey yet ,thats my next project ,i'm just waiting a month or so to see if any more 440's come out , i hate buying something and the next day something 10 x better comes along ,but i know that's how it is in the computer world.
    And this v32000, i,ve been messing with it all night and i can't get it above 190 MHZ, that's not bad compared to some people but i put a lot of work into this thing and i was hoping to get close to 200 but i don't think it's going to happen.I wish i could pu up pics of what this thing looks like , i think i'm going to change it's name from the voodoo3 to the Warlock3 because with all these sinks i got on this thing it look pretty tough.

I've got my v3 3500 running fine at 198mhz w/ stock cooling (i.e. no fans)... but i just got it a watercooler from 3Dcool.com and some little RAM chip heatsinks from plycon... so i'm shooting for 215mhz now

------------------
    Damn, OCing is taking over my life... I ordered an Iced Athy Latte at Starbucks the other day!!!
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Stupid question--how do you take off the stock sink on the v3 2000? Just pry the damn thing off with a knife or something? I've been considering a little OC project with it & the other parts in my PC; bored need something to do!

Hey Machupo what's this plycon(?) place?

OK--nevermind; I just typed in plycon.com...

------------------
    "Oooh--they have the internet on COMPUTERS now!"

[This message has been edited by Artboy (edited 01-18-2000).]
    It's not me, it's you.

argh! damn double post...

[This message has been edited by Artboy (edited 01-18-2000).]
    It's not me, it's you.

hey Dillon,

How'd you get that heat sink off your VooDoo3? I've got a V3 2000 that I want to put a cooling fan on, but after 5 minutes of try'n to rip that thing off, the cracking of the bread board got to me, so I stopped =). Did you use any special tools, or just *pop*? And like you, not even 1/2 of the compound is touching the chip.

-Nick

I had my V3 in the freezer for 45 min and then the heatsink came off without any problems.

yeah, the address is www.plycon.com you can buy heatsinks that fit your ram chips perfectly (12mm by 5mm) for $1.00 each...

enjoy!

------------------
    Damn, OCing is taking over my life... I ordered an Iced Athy Latte at Starbucks the other day!!!
    No Rules, No Ads, No BS....

The Overclockers Network

Neo Aeon, i took a pair of needle nose pliars and bent the edge up on one side and then i just continued to twist it off , i heard some crunching but that was the heatsink ,and after you get it off sand off all that crap that they have on there i started with 150 grit then 220 then 2000grit ,and the sink i put on there is pretty big ,it hangs over the top obout an inch ,but believe me this thing is not even getting warm,i forgot to add earlier i also have 2 case fans blowing on all my pci slots for extra cooling ,but i turned them off to see if my card woud overheat and it ran perfect, also the overclocking program that i'm using is called the voodoo 3 tweaker,don't get the voodoo 3 overclocker because i have used them both and the tweaker is much better,let me know if you have any more questions ,i'll try to respond as soon as i can.And just a bit of advice when you are oc'ing only go up one Mhz at a time that way you can see how it is going to effect your screen and your games.

Hmmm. Have to try that one. I've heard of putting the card in the freezer before but have always been leery of that one.

Machupo--checked it out; sweet! I foresee an order placed at some point for sinks & fans...
    It's not me, it's you.

Thread Information