No way can this be this hot
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: No way can this be this hot

No way can this be this hot

I have a PIII-500 on a BF6 MB and the HWdoctor and bios say the cpu is running at 87.5C... I say BS... The same cpu on a BH6 runs at 32 or so... bad sensor? How can I check?

OK this is how we all check it out stick out your tongue and touch the HS watch out for the fans cause they hurt.

No really it does sound like a bad probe. you can always adjust the temp within MBM, or try replacing the probe call up ABIT. and just as a precaution you DID plug in the fans on the HS right. touch it just be carefull you should be able to without hurting your self

------------------
    Can some one stop those voices in my head telling me to Overclock my computer!!!
    whatever

Pull your CPU out and put it in again.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Tried reseating the cpu, no dice. The aux temp prob in the case is a steady 23C-24C but the cpu is still showing 85-88C...

One other thing, the -5V is showing -5.5 which sets the default alarm off... the case and PS are brand new...

I had the same problem on my bf6 with MBM. It said my temps were at aroun 60C with a watercooled peltier, I could touch the back of the processor through 2 layers of insulation and it would be cold. So I knew it wasn't right. All I did was switch the probe type (in the software) to p2 thermal diode. If you can, see if that works.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, break it!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

My BF6 was reporting an incorrect temp on my PII 350. It wasn't as bad as that though, but it seems to give the correct temp reading with my new coppermine 700.

Have a look at:-

www.benchtest.com

They had a report about missing diodes on certian Abit mobos because the Windbond software was reporting incorrect temps.

Also that HW Doctor is rubbish compared to "Motherboard Monitor" you can do just about everything with this programe except make toast!!. It has a "Compensation" tab for giving you a correct reading)

get.to/octools

BladeRunner

(Excerpt from a message to Jim at benchtest)

"I linked to your site from a message on Hardware Central and I'm sure this is what is up with my Abit BF6 boards temp readings. After replacing my old TMC board with the Abit I have seen Bios reported CPU temp go from 38C max with the TMC to 55C Max with the Abit without any other changes to the system at all. I'd appreciate your views on this if you've got a moment.
    One last thing what do you think of the Winbond Hardware Doctor 2 monitor software(supplied with the BF6)?. It supplies all the information you need in a clear a logical way but it is so "User Unfriendly!" Firstly I can't make it appear in the task bar minimised on boot up, If I put it in the start up folder it opens on boot up, annoying!!. Even worse there is no minimise button so you click the close to minimise it to the task bar, but you can't Left click the icon to restore it, the program crashes. So you have to Right click it and then select restore!! WHY? when everything else is Left click! Extremely annoying"

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 01-09-2000).]

alrighty... now I'm screwed.. I flashed the bios and now when i attempt to boot, it shuts itself down.... beauty eh?

OK when you flashed your bios, you DID start from a DOS disk and NOT from windows right?

------------------
    Can some one stop those voices in my head telling me to Overclock my computer!!!
    whatever

I got it straightened out, the damn switch on the case pushed the back off the piece of junk... Got it booted up, installed MBM, still at 80C.. Is the BX6 a better MB? I can go exchange it...

OK forget the Bx6 r2, now I'm looking at the BE6 Rev. 2 MB... $34 more gazoits... I have a BH6 in this one and it runs fine fine fine, although I'm working on some cooling issues before I OC it. What ya'll think?

The BE6 is a very good board. especially the R2 1mhz adjustments I have the first release...now I want the second

------------------
    whatever

ok, I'm gonna go swap the BF for the BE R2... I think I'm gonna pick up a dual Superfan too... they have em for 18 bucks.

alright, same shiznit... Got the BE6-2 installed, put the extra thermistor on one of the heatsink fins and it reads around 96F... so theres no way the chip can be reaching 85+C....

Thread Information