overclocking celeron 400
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: overclocking celeron 400

overclocking celeron 400

Hi everybody.

Ive got a slot 1 Celeron 400 in my computer that is completely stable at 450 and 500 MHz but fails at 600. I get it to post but when it says its updating the ESCD or something it freezes. At 500 the highest temp I get is 41 C after a couple hrs of SETI.

I have a BE6 mobo so I cant use any of the fsb settings between 83 and 100. Also I have an IBM Deskstar UDMA 66 13.5 gb. Is this drive able to withstand the 83 MHz fsb very well or should I bump it down to 450? Cooling is supplied by a GlobalWin 28( or something like that) but I dont have thermal grease, just the pad that came with it. Would that yield a big difference moving to thermal grease?

One other thing, whenerver I reboot the computer, the mobo always sets itself to autodetecting the processor so I have to manually change it everytime. I am using the latest bios update.

Thanks in advance

First- That IBM is a good hard drive. It can handle anything any other drive can.

Second- Please get some thermal paste. It may help.

Third- Have you tried increasing the voltage? I am pritty sure you have had to for the 500mhz setting, but I just want to cover basics.

------------------
    Check out the Overclockers Network at: http://www.overclockers-network.com/
    -Lord Gumby: Administrative Gear Head
    Check out the Overclockers Network at: http://www.overclockers-network.com/
    -Lord Gumby: Administrative Gear Head

Yeah, I've moved the voltage around quite a bit. Right now 500 is ok at 2.00. Not even 2.3 will get 600.

Can anybody shed some light on my bios settings problem?

I set mine to 92mhz. It is running stable at 550mhz now.

Que

Have you tried...Soft FSB....Boot your comp at 500 and then Use Soft FSB to see if you can get a stable clock to 600.

My 400 would do the same.....I think it was my drive tho....but once I was in windows I could run 630mhz( but I had heat issues )..After I solved my heat issues...mine will run all day long at 630mhz. I have never had my CPU over 2.1 volts. My Mobo is an Asus P2B-B ( With the case off )

------------------
    Who are you People..."and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM"!

[This message has been edited by CDS (edited 01-09-2000).]
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

I am with Lord gumby, lose the pad and use some thermal joint compound (should be good for at least a few degrees, if not double digits). And IBM sure does make a good HD. Sorry, no idea about the bios.

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 01-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 01-09-2000).]

You guys are really lucky, my C400 only runs at 450 and freezes at 500 MHZ when running CPU Intensive programs, i've even raised the core voltage to 2.2 v and it's still hangs at the same point.

My Comp spec:
    C400 PPGA + Asus S370 Converter card
    P2B-F (no budget to upgrade to better mobo)
    128 MB SDRAM
    TNT2 ULTRA
    SBLIVE

Wondering why it can be o/c only to 450?
    I've used the waterfall pro to keep down the temp, and i've also used the IBM's Heatsink instead of the original fan provided by Intel.

Any tips from you guys?

thanks

When your CPU is at 500, your FSB is at 83, right? Is your computer crashing when playing 3D games? If that is so, then it might be your video card.
    BTW, waterfall pro or any other cpu idling program doesn't do jack to cool your cpu when it is under heavy loads. So sorry, no short cuts.

Could be a heat issue...What type of H/S and do you know what your CPU temp is?

Does it lock solid, or just shut the prog your in?

Whats the Code on your chip?

Do you get any Fatal errors...(what?)

???My cus had the same prob...he changed out his SDRAM for 133...and it cleared it right up....

Just a few Suggestions!

Hey NiteOwl...My cel 500 use to hang on 3D progs until I disabled my L2 Cache....the 500@625mhz...(83.3 fsb)

I thought it was my V Card until....I decided one day to systematically try everything from using diff LBA UDMA Mode 4 on the HDD to AGP appeture, ect....finally I tried disabling the L2 and it has worked real slick since.

------------------
    Who are you People..."and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM"!

Thread Information