Flaming folders are a bad idea!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Flaming folders are a bad idea!

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio

Flaming folders are a bad idea!

I strongly believe that we could do without the flaming folders. All they do is promote people to post stupid unwanted messages in their own topics. "I want flames" is going to be seen 100 times in a few days, I predict. Also, I find them distracting, they draw attention away from the newer topics, even if the newer ones are more interesting.
    Prove it you say? ok look at this http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/002436.html
    note: sorry Miguel_asc, I had to have an example, no offense.

------------------

-Goff

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 01-07-2000).]
    -Goff

I concur. I like the idea of the flaming folders, but there will always be some knucklehead who annoys us with multiple posts, and on top of that, becomes a member by flaming his own folder!
    "It was a good lay........"

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    Without a doubt the nickname for people that do this should be...FLAMER!!!

------------------

-Goff
    -Goff

I agree with goffy, (even though he isn't talking to me), The flames are pointless and the Hardware Central guys would be better off spending the time on getting the Damn search feature working, or overclocking their servers a bit, this site has been so sloooow recently.

BladeRunner

I think the novelty is gonna go away.

------------------
    No matter what a hooker tells you, there is no sex in the Champagne room.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

The novelty will go away but it will still make things interesting.

As for something for HWC to fix, how about formating the response page. There's NO LINES.

Oh someone else mentioned this but after you post your response isnt there. You have to go out and back in. Or maybe I'm just to fast. DAMN DSL.

[This message has been edited by MasterMind (edited 01-07-2000).]
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

I have to disagree. these guys that run HWC have been spending alot of time to get the message boards back up and running. you can tell just by the suptil changes that have been going on. All tho I do disagree on the fact that one guy's impatience made hime post 15 times to his own post within a short amount of time just to get flames.

If you really think the flames are that bad why not ask the guys that run this message board and maybe they/you can run a vote to see if the flames should stay or go.

but until then I think the flames are good.

------------------
    Can some one stop those voices in my head telling me to Overclock my computer!!!
    whatever

I have just found one more thing to see that they are trying to speed this place up. you can't post twice within one minute. that should stop double posts.

------------------
    Can some one stop those voices in my head telling me to Overclock my computer!!!
    whatever

i'm gonna get hammered for this but what are flame's folders, how do they start , how do they end ,what is the concept i'm confused.

Did I hear someone use the phrase "Too Fast" in this forum? honestly!!!! You can never be too fast... At least not with computers.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, break it!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

Whats wrong with the flaming folders?

But not for the flames I would not have even noticed this topic let alone the other ones.

I rather like them. They are like "read me beacons".

It doesn't detract from the website but rather enhances its visual appeal.

Goffenheimer: No offense but, you claim that "the flaming folders promote unwanted/stupid messages". Well you have already started a string of topics regarding the flaming folders and I do not see it to be much different than the people whom you claim would post messages stating "i want flames".

What do the flames matter?

kwisatz

[This message has been edited by kwisatz (edited 01-08-2000).]

Looks like Goff has got his wish. I liked them myself, added a bit of colour to the forum
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

Hey,
    The flaming folders accorind to the key are for Topics with more than 20 posts. SO!?!? Can anyone here NOT look to the right of the topic and SEE how many posts there are? I don't know who thinks we're that stupid, but from what I've seen, most of the people have something upstairs besides cobwebs! An overall bad idea. And, why should the topic that got those > 20 messages over the course of a few months be called "hot"? Get rid of them, save our eyesight!<g>
    Michael

------------------
    Sell your organs for fun and profit!! It's easy, ask me how!!
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

"Secular nations have one thing in common-mass graves, and the reason is that they believe the government is the final arbiter of right and wrong and good and evil." -Rob Schenk

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on the objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -James Madison

Thread Information