:(I Got A K6-2 that don't want to sweat!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: :(I Got A K6-2 that don't want to sweat!

:(I Got A K6-2 that don't want to sweat!

I have a Peltier cooling unit on my K6-2\400.
    I'm running it O\C at 450mhz..nothing great.
    I understand(I may be wrong)that the cooler
    the chip,the "higher" you can go on the clock
    I have a MicroStar-5184 Mboard@100MHZ\Fsb.
    112mhz is the next opt. but it o\c's the slots from 66.6mhz to 74.7mhz..kind of high!
    (Not interested in frying my rage 128.. which is one wicked card!)The Micro-weene dosen't like 112mhz either,for some reason. Now I installed a Digital thermo on the back of the board right where the cpu is(I don't know how accurate this spot is.)Right now just sitting here typing the thermo says 22.8C.This climbes to about 27C in a rousing game of Quake2. I have WaterFall on too.(I know it disables when you do the game thing!) My current settings are 100Mhz\4.5x=450@2.3V. If I set it to 5.0x I HAVE to take the voltage to 2.9v wich is MURDER. Less than this,I don't get any kind of a ride. (Windows Protection errors,illegal ops.,THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH! E.T.C.)Now with my old Super
    Cooler on the K6 I got a ride at 2.8v,...at least a longer one anyway! So here's my beef.
    WHY does this peliter thing,which if you have it in your hand it is like a chunk of ice,put it on the K6 and !tada! IT DON'T WORK AS GOOD AS MY HEAT-SINK\FAN COMBO. I dunno why so maybe some one else has had this problem. And
    don't worry..the thermal paste and all the good stuff was used in this project.Maybe I should do the water cooling thing. HA HA!
    HELP!

[This message has been edited by jreclark (edited 01-07-2000).]
    Your CPU Emits What Color Of Smoke?!

"Havin' This Name Tagged To me Is Like Wearing Someone Elses Clothes"-jreclark

WHAT! No responce on my Questions?!!No celeron junkies slandering my k6-2? No rude
    coments like "Your stupid to to think that, that AMD can cut 500MHZ!" Oh well I got the
    thing set on 4.0x112fsb\2.3V=448 and perkn fine and it will stay there until someone
    responds with a working theory. GIMME FLAMES!
    Right!

If you don't want to increase jumper the FSB to 112Mhz then you only really have the Multiplier left - or the possibility of using SoftFSB if it works on your MB.

At 500Mhz you are probably going to need 2.8V/2.9V even tho 450Mhz works nicely with 2.3V/2.4V, and as heat generated rises linerly with Speed and geometrically with voltage, you are gonna need some good cooling for 500Mhz (Your CPU will generate around 2.2 times the heat at 500Mhz/2.9V than at 400Mhz/2.2V!).

Formula for heat:
    (Current Voltage / 2.2V)^2 * (Speed / 400) * 24.4W

So at 500Mhz/2.9V you will need to dissipate heat at some 53W. This should be manageable if you can get a good airflow over the CPU area to move the heat away from the CPU and the peltier.

[ I _think_ 24.4W is the correct amount for the K6-2 400Mhz, check AMD's site for exact specs if you really want to know ]

Also, 2.9V is probably too much for that CPU. Don't expect more than a couple of months of life from it...

Also, 27C is really good (based on a room temp of 22C) - what is the ambient temperature?
    // What happens at 0K? //

I think that the 448 is the best solution - you won't knacker your hardware that way...

------------------

Yah I think I will be reasonable and keep my
    sweaty K6 at 4.5x100\fsb\2.3v. The peltier is working better now(had to seat or something).
    The now temps for the cpu is 20.9C(Idle in windows\W waterfall),and 26.8C flat out! This
    is with an ambient temp of 24.5C,...cool!
    And I want this thing to live for a while. None of my cards like to be screamed on the 112mhz\Fsb...so 100 is my stay. TKS for the imput!

Thread Information