Round Cables??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round Cables??

Round Cables??

Ok/ so I was checking out some new round cooler off overclockers site, and I see these IDE cables that look like they belong in my puter.. I give up/ How are you guys doin this... Gawd I feel like I'm in the Dark Ages/lol tape?? tubing?? Whats the deal????

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

slice and dice! just break the cable into 5 sections 8 pins wide and tape them all together stacked.

------------------
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

OK... have you done it with 80 pin cables also??

------------------

Yes, you are a bit in the dark ages.

The entire round cable fad came and went a couple of months ago. I think that in some circumstances, it will yield some positive results; but mostly I think when performed correctly it certainly makes the inside of your case neater and more attractive (if you're into that kind of thing).

Personally, I took the time to separate each individual cable, and finished by wrapping with colored electrical tape.

I suspect that a better way would be to use either shrink wrap tubing or plastic wire conduit.

On a different note... I've heard that this should never be done with 80 pin cables. Supposedly the cross-talk tolerances of these cables would be far exceeded by performing this procedure on these cables; and would almost certainly result in data error. I can't say from experience-- I haven't tried it. The concept seems valid, though. Supposedly the extra cables are ground cables, and exist almost solely to prevent signal cross-talk.

Thanx Baloneyflaps... ya I remember people talking bout round cables.. Guess I had my head too far up my azz tryin to figure peltiers and whatnot....lol... Anyhow thanx for the tip on the 80 pin cables.. I think I'll leave well nuff alone.. Thanx guys

------------------

Hey... hope I helped, but I'm not the say all and end all of the the cable conundrum!

What I mean to say is... lots of "good advice"... I think is crap!

I'm just being a parrot for what sounds like reasonable advice concerning 80-pin cables. Please be a little cautious, and search a bit more... that never hurts!

I was able to cut and tape my 40-pin cables wit no problems... that's all I can say for sure!

I bought round cables a while back from www.montac.com and had it shipped to the Philippines. They were a bit stiffer than I thought they would be so I ended up removing the heat-shrink and binding them with tie-wrap.

My main purpose of getting them was so that the inside of the computer would be much neater so I could get my big hands into those tight spots. I also ordered a whole bunch of raw materials from this guy and I now make my own EIDE and floppy cables. He, by special request built me a custom made SCSI 50-Pin wire that I am very happy with.

Talk to him... he's a really nice guy that is very helpful with all of this. His name is Clay Autery.

Good Luck!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    www.montac.com/cablestore/index.html
    This will give you Clay's cable store.

Pretty neat huh, check out those power wires. You might have to look close to see them, but I think it is supposed to be that way.

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 01-04-100).]
    -Goff

Thanx for the Link guys I do at present tie my cables outta the way, but 80 pin cables are strange.. When I tried tying my 80 pin to a 40 pin... mayhem... 80 pin won't work anymore/ lol go figure... I'll Talk to Clay, see what solution He may have for me...I too demand a neat appearance/ room for the large hands... besides I know, that good airflow is a must, and IDE cables strewn about sure don't help that any..

------------------

Those cables sure look sweet.

I keep mine nice and neat by folding them in half. I also cut off any extra ends that aren't needed. No air flow problems and it looks nice.

[This message has been edited by MasterMind (edited 01-06-2000).]
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

I just want that case where did you get it and how much did it cost?
    whatever

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet case setup you have there

those power connectors are all running of one line yes?

Somewhere between Purgatory and Hell called Ohio
    I'm sorry that I miss led you guys, I didn't mean to. That is not a pick of MY case. It is a pic that I pulled of the www.montac.com/Pages/p3_ac_photos.htm
    site. I just wanted to show you a pic of "round cables". I agree that it is a nice setup, and the case it great too. I would buy one of these but I can't because I got to save for a cruise.

------------------
    Hardward Central ICQ active list is rockin', add it to your ICQ. ActiveList #57497564

[This message has been edited by goffenhiemer (edited 01-05-100).]
    -Goff

My case is neater than that! You just wait until I get my new digicam... If I take a picture now you'll all just be pissed that the image is crappy!
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Wait a minute... what kind of motherboard is that?

Thread Information