Need help with a fan/heatsink for a RETAIL PIII-600
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need help with a fan/heatsink for a RETAIL PIII-600

Need help with a fan/heatsink for a RETAIL PIII-600

I recently bought a RETAIL PIII-600. Within 2 months the fan that came with it stopped running, and I dare not run the processor without proper cooling. This SECC package is of the type where the circuit board and chip are exposed, and the retail Intel heatsink sits on top in direct contact with the chip. All of the heatsink/fan combos that I can find in stores here are for the older PII package where the circuit board is covered by the metal plate, to which the heatsink clips on. I HAVE to find a fan/heatsink that will replace the ones that originally came with my retail PIII-600, and I am hoping that somone here can help me. If anyone knows where I can find such an item, or even what that form of the SECC package those retail PIIIs are, please let me know.

Thanks

Retail Intel Pentium IIIChipshave three year warrantie. Why don't you try and get an exchange from them. Another alternative that you can do it remove the stock fan/heatsink off the chip and replace it a higher quality heatsink/fan. I removed all three of my PIII 450 Retail fans/heatsinks and put a higher quality oe one. This lowered the Temp alot. If your interested in this process emailme at pcguru2k@mail.com i'll send you some pics an directions.

------------------
    Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal!
    Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal!
    http://www.pcguru2k.cjb.net
    [PGR2K]

Are you saying you dont have a back-plate? There are dozens of places that sell aftermarket coolers but most use some sort of metal clip. The only way you will get a original heatsink is from Intel.
    If it ain't broke, tweak it!!

OK, I found out what the deal was... The newer PIIIs do not have that metal back plate. AND there are aftermarket cpu coolers sold as "PIII coolers" that will fit. Basically they sit on top of the board, and a clip with four prongs clips onto the heatsink THROUGH the processor board from the other side. Again, only the newer PIIIS do this... everything else is that PII/Athlon style where there's a metal plate over the board and chip.

[This message has been edited by Sirion (edited 01-03-100).]

Thread Information