Shot gun modems
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Shot gun modems

Shot gun modems

Hey guys how do you do to shot gun 2 modems and which modems would be best suited to do this

Thanks,
    Mike

------------------

I have done it with US Robotics and a Boca. It works if your ISP will let you have concurrent log on and support it. My ISP does. However they would dump one modem if their system got to busy.

I switched to Cable modem.

Any two modems will work, at least when using Win98's built in multi-modem application. In Windows there is nothing special to do after you install both modems, you simply use dial-up networking to connect the first modem to the internet, and a checkbox in the Dial-Up networking window will allow you to "add additional device" which lets the second modem dial and adds the connection together as a single, faster dial up connection. you need two phone lines, as well.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

So what you are saying is I need two seperate phone lines, two different phone numbers, right??

------------------

Yes, 2 phone lines = 2 phone numbers
    You also need to check with your isp and see if they are able to set you up to use 2 modems. Some ISP's charge extra when you use 2 modems, plus you have to pay for 2 phone lines, then you still have to pay for the ISP. So after its all done you could be up to $50-60 a month. Should just wait for Cable or DSL to get in your area

Most dual analog ISP's charge 1/2 price for the use of the second line. I have had a dual modem setup for almost a year now, it works great. Surfing is a little faster, downloading is twice as fast, I sometimes can get 15 kbs, average around 11 or 12 kbs. On a single line I only average about 5 or 6 kbs. I pay $29 a month, but this is going down soon I am told.

Hmm...I would have thought the best way to "shot gun 2 modems" would be to put two modems up against a good solid backstop, load up your shotgun, aim, and pull the trigger. What I would want to know is, what is the best type of shot to use to get maximum destruction of the modems. Obviously it wouldn't be slugs, because they would just make a big hole. I'm guessing some type of buckshot would be good, probably the smaller types with more pellets, fired at close range so the expansion diameter is still small enough to get good coverage of the modem.

------------------
    If it isn't broke, you're not trying hard enough.
    Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/cgi-bin/...i?action=intro

I would recommend crushing them into pieces (baseball bat, then mortar and pestle would be the best method) small enough to fit down the barrel (of a muzzel loader of course). then fire into some sort of wall..
    what do you get?
    shotgun modem art!

------------------
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

LOL - actually, shotgun is Diamond's tradename for multimodem. They put out their own internal 'shotgun' modem that has 2 modems built into it. If you go to their site [url0www.diamondmm.com[/url] and go to the shotgun modem section you can search for isp's that support shotgun (and most will support any dual modem setup. One told me it wouldn't guarantee it working with another brand, and had a setup charge so I didn't try it

I tried it briefly. It would have been fine, but my main phone line would only support 28.8 connect! :P That sucked. You'll get away with about $30/mo for the isp, but still have to pay $15-25/mo for the second phone line...

Can't wait for dsl!!!
    I call it "No-Pants Wonderday," but it turns out the police just call it "Thursday." Go figure.

Jeffy79 Guest
    Pull!!!

------------------
    "That's my story and im stickin to it!"

Thread Information