overheating problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: overheating problem

overheating problem

i am running a amd k6 2 500 at v2.4 100*5 the chip says to put the core v at 2.2 but wont run. my cpu heat is running at 140 to 150 degrees,then the alarm goes off i have to big fans on it with one big heat sink, is 140 to 150 to much heat?i really dont know the motherboard runs at about 95/100 degrees,is there a problem or should i turn the alarm off, the m/b is a p5a-b asus.it does it running games ,playing cds, pretty much any time came home from work today it was going off,{alarm}4 about half hour.dont know what else to do .

sorry those temps are {F}

LOL, if those temps were {c} your cpu would be blazing on fire!!
    YAY!

You might try setting it to 2.3V core (if your m/board will support it). If you still have problems, try using a thermal gel between the CPU and the Heatsink to improve the heat transfer.
    Your CPU may be defective, my K6-2 450 runs fine at 500, 2.2V core, and isn't even that warm after 6 hours use.
    If this fails, there are several shareware programs that can help cool your CPU, try using them (e.g. Rain1.0, CPUIdle, Waterfall professional).
    Or you could run your computer with the case open (if you aren't already).Or try running it in a slightly cooler room (room temperature does effect the CPU temperature slightly).
    If you have done all of this, and still have problems, then I would look seriously at getting a new CPU.
    I hope that is some use.
    Fallguy

i do run with the case open i have tried to put the v at 2.3 runs unstable boots up half the time i will try the programs thought,i thought maybe it was a defective chip to ,{what should the temps be}

I run a K6-III, oc to 475 .2 over spec power.

It gets up to 125 degrees F (52 C) when I hold Q3 torch under it, and that makes me a little uneasy.

I think 60 to 66 degrees C (140-150 F) would be high.

The CPU idle program FALLGUY referred to will affect your performance, but your CPU will be cool as a cutie.

Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

That´s funny, I have a K6 2 450MHz(it´s still a Virgin...Not Overclocked YEt) anyway...the same happened to me ...Then I noticed that the Fan was a little under the CPU, not covering it completely,(it was going on 50ēC ), then I tried putting the Fan Right, and I got a 32ēC and it burely goes over 35ēC :Q

[This message has been edited by beanny (edited 12-22-99).]

well i fixed the problem it was a bad cpu from factory, i got a new one it works great.
    thanks everone

I have been trying to speed up this Compaq 5070. Installed a K6-2,500MHz I purchased last week. The problem is Compaq has no temperature sensors installed on mb, also applied fan with heatsink (generic). Then, I tweaked it up a bit and now I'm at 577.5MHz with 2.4v applied to core(105MHz bus). So far everything is running great. There are now four fans running in my system (in,out,heatsink and HDD dual intake fan), will this be enough air flow? Where or how can I install temp. sensors with this mb. Compaq will not help with mb make or model, so I have a hard time running software that requires this info. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
    Happy Y2K to all, Cougaran

Hey Cougaran!

With than much air flow and no intermittant lock-ups during processor intensive applications, such as 3d games, I think you can rest assured the CPU is not getting overheated.

Funny how a boiling hot processor just seems to stop until it can cool down.

Don't worry...you know the rest.
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

Thread Information