Memory for Bp6 Dual 366@550 - What type?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Memory for Bp6 Dual 366@550 - What type?

Memory for Bp6 Dual 366@550 - What type?

What type of memory should I buy for my Bp6 running dual 366's@550?

Is "generic" ram really the great evil to all overclocked systems? Am I taking a *RISK* by purchasing generic PC133 SDRAM or is it *ok*?

Someone guide me to the light.

Many thanks,

-kwisatz

You'll be setting the fsb to 100 and any pc100 would do. I don't think generic pc133 would give you any problems.

I am running Micronics 128mb PC100 8ns cas 2 in my BP6 which is really something like PC124 - I do think that most "new" ram even generic meets these specs now. Anyone please comment. If your ram can't go the speed of the bus you get lock-ups and memory errors. Generic PC133 is probably fine. And most places will give a lifetime warranty.

Sterling_Aug Guest
    I am running generic PC-100 RAM (128 Meg and 64 Meg) in two different BP-6 systems.

I tried PC-133 RAM in both systems and was unable to boot.

Thanks for the input.

Yesterday after I posted the message I lost my self control and ordered a PC133 128 meg stick....generic. I never worried about generic vrs brand name until now.

I went with the 133 so that I can play with the FSB at 100+ speeds with this new Bp6 dual I have coming.

Thanks

-kwisatz

The thing with generic PC133 memory is that some are made ONLY for 133mhz based board and is not backwards compatible with 100mhz based board. Even running it at 133fps won't even make the pc boot with this generic pc133 memory stick. I experienced this problem with a generic memory stick from "LD" it was a generic pc133 stick..

------------------
    Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal!
    Good Artist Copy, Great Artist Steal!
    http://www.pcguru2k.cjb.net
    [PGR2K]

Sterling_Aug Guest
    kwisatz: I guess when you lost your self comtrol, it also blinded you as well.

I think you missed my post about PC-133 RAM.

quote: "I am running generic PC-100 RAM (128 Meg and 64 Meg) in two different BP-6 systems.
    I tried PC-133 RAM in both systems and was unable to boot."

I tried a stick of generic PC-133 RAM in two different BP-6 systems and two other ABIT slot one systems and the RAM refused to let me boot. If you still do not believe me, then please read the articles about the BP-6 and PC-133 RAM:

http://www.bp6.com

Oh jeeze.

Yea...I guess i just shot myself in the foot.

I'm going to cross my fingers...I guess I'll just end up sending back the 133's and ask for PC100.

Impatience definetly sucks.

Thats what happens when you've been a Mac User for 15 years and try to make the crossover by building a PC as your first attempt to own one.

-kwisatz

Thread Information