Overclocking a different way
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking a different way

Overclocking a different way

Ok,
    here`s an idea i heard mentioned a while ago for older boards, but i want some input as to whether it`ll work with a biostar 8500 Tuc Rev 3.1
    For starters the board is your average pent board that`ll take a pent from 75 to 200mhz,
    After some thinking the idea crossed my mind as to how to get a few more pentium ponies out of the chip past the 200mhz barrier without using a new board. Is i feasable to yank the clock crystal out of the board and install one of a higher frequency? that or possibly change the clock multiplier so that the multiplier is greater than 3.0?

Ford-Freak

changing the crystal won't do you any good. All pentiums run at either 60 or 66 mhz. You need to find out how to increase the clock multiplier and hope that the bios supports the higher speed chips (which shouldn't be a problem)

------------------
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

I don't see anything wrong with the logic.
    200MHz would be 3x66Mhz. By fiddling with the clock generator you will change the FSB frequency and they won't be the same as the ones in the manual any more. But if you turned the default setting of 66MHz bus into 75MHz bus then the CPU would be running at 3x75MHz = 225MHz, giving you a nice overclock.

What I want to know is why multipliers only go up to 3x, and the FSB only goes up to 66MHz. It could be that the motherboard won't be stable at 75MHz and you'll have to re-solder the original chip in. Course if you figure a way to up the multiplier then you'll have none of these problems (except you won't have the benefit of a higher FSB speed)

Thread Information