TNproud2b
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNproud2b

TNproud2b

I going to start putting together a cooling sys for a PIII SECC2, (water or alcohol).

I know there are plenty of sites regarding this subject, I,d just like some pointers from someone that has lived with, and had problems with such a sys like yourself. If it's eaiser you can mail me at:-

jonathan.spencer@virgin.net

I've got a rather nice small aluminuim race car oil cooler as a start, and have access to a milling machine, so making any copper items won't be a problem. I'd be grateful for any info you can give. Thanks.....BladeRunner

Alcohol, thats Talisker, i assume? he he he..

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    matrix.crosswinds.net/~sverresjo/duckman.htm

Seems like a good plan to me Duckman, as I can always drink the experiment if it goes wrong

........BladeRunner

LOL!!
    I'm getting my heatexchanger today, so how about you and me join forces?? My bigges problem right now is the waterblock. Anyone mail me one??

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

[This message has been edited by Duckman (edited 12-28-99).]

I'm..... probably going to mill mine out of a solid piece of copper, What CPU are you using??

.......BladeRunner

Get a good pump. I don't leave my computer unattended because of the worry of pump failure. It did eventually fail when I was right beside it. It locked up after 2 seconds of a screeching sound.
    You might want to spend a few dollars for a quality pump. Also, as effective as it is to let the water directly contact the chip, its much less worry to use a sealed waterblock. The next time I build a water cooler I plan to make it more reliable - to the point that I trust it to be left on all day.
    Another good idea might be to have an easy way to switch back to a heatsink if you experience failure of the cooler. It takes me an hour to pry off the waterblocks, scrape the glue, and re assemble it all using the heatsinks. Oh, and when you make a waterblock mounting bracket for that slot1, leave room to add a peltier between the cpu and waterblock. You never know if you'll want to add one later.
    Good luck!
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thanks for that TN, I can probably source a good quality pump from work. I plan to use a peltier and use the waterblock to remove the heat from this. I will need to make the system reliable as I'll want to be able to leave it alone.

I have an idea to make a sealed water block about 35 mm deep and have 'fins' like an alpha on the inside. This will give a bigger water contact area so all the heat will be removed to the rad in much the same way as your sys.

I take your point onboard and will try to design it so the Alpha can be quickly refitted.

Once again thanks for the input and I'll keep you informed if you interested

........BladeRunner

Blade: It's a 466 currently at 644. I'm dreaming/hoping for 700+....

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

we'll be talking Talisker on the rocks for your system, hey!

I'm going to try to get it to fit in to my current tower as I have built my hole work station around it. It's a mid tower so it won't be easy, but I do love a challenge!.

As we have joined forces in a similar quest lets share battle plans, I've got some pictures of my sys when it was 350 @ 501 send me some of your progress and ideas and I'll do the same. My e-mails is in the first message

............BladeRunner

On the ROCKS!!??!!??

I drink it stright and at 18-20C!! No need to supercool my drinks

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:

Blade runner where are u going to get the copper from?

Copper

I can source it through work, mail me the size of the lump you want, (and don't take the piss), and I'll see what I can do. No promises though.

.......BladeRunner

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 12-29-99).]

Thread Information