Need Help with BF6 (bugs???)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need Help with BF6 (bugs???)

Need Help with BF6 (bugs???)

I just got a BF6 and a few things from this mobo is making me scratch my head. When I tried to set L2 latency to a lower value than default (8), WCPUID tells me that I have 512 k of L2 cache and the L2 cache is at 8. This is quite suprising to me cuz I thought when you try to set the L2 cache to a higher value than default (on a PIII), the L2 cache becomes disable. Does this mean that the L2 cache latency setting on the BF6 doesn't work???? The second thing that is confusing me occurs when I set the PCI bus to 1/4. I am running my FSB at 120 and Sandra Pro 99 is telling me that my PCI bus is at 40. WTF? With a 1/4 PCI divider shouldn't my PCI bus be at 30???? Is Sandra reading my PCI bus wrong or is the 1/4 divider on the BF6 defective too?????
    BTW, I have updated my BIOS and all that did was tell me my PIII 500 @ FSB 120 is running at 600 (instead of telling me my cpu is running at 589 like it did when I first got this mobo).

About that changing speed of cpu, check your manual at Chapter 3, 3-5 and look at NOTE, what is written here about user defined setting for cpu, then look what is new in latest BF6 bios. And about that L2 cache latency, its known bug, Abit know about this, hope they will fix it soon.

My mobo didn't come with the manual, it was missing. Thanks for the info anyhow, I will download the PDF file and look it up.

I looked up section 3 of the manual (in PDF) and it says nothing about not been able to use the 1/4 PCI divider in any circumstances. I downloaded the newest version of Sandra Standard (I had Sandra professional before) and it reports that my PCI is still at 40 and my PCI divider is at 1/3 (even thought I set my PCI divider to 1/4 in bios). Did anyone out there experience anything like this with this mobo? This is my first experience with an Abit mobo and I must say it has been quite disappointing so far (I had a Asus P3BF before and that was pretty good and everything on it worked like it was suppose to). This really sucks cuz one of the two reasons why I bought this mobo was the ability to choose the 1/4 PCI divider regardless of FSB settings (not having to wait til FSB 24 before the 1/4 PCI divider kicks in).
    I am think maybe I should have bought a Soyo 6BA+IV instead.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? I am running out of time to get a refund for this mobo. Is anyone out there successfully running this mobo with a 1/4 PCI divider? If you do, please post your reply (so that I know it is not another general bug with this mobo). Thanks.

I've had a BF6 since it came out and I was running a 1/4 divider on a PII 350 @ 501 (3.5x143fsb). You do have to change the divider as it will give you what it thinks is appropriate for your selceted fsb.

As for the L2 cache latency, I did set my old CPU to 5 once but I had'nt checked to see if it had changed to 5 with H-odas program. 'Neo' on the hardware extreme forum said he had heard that the Cache Latency locks at "default" if you try to change it on the new P3's.

I had messed around with it on my new PIII 700 but again it doesn't appear to change, H-odas program is however stating that L2 cache is enabled at 0 latency on my sys.

I'm going to be reformatting very soon so get back to me if you want me to put the PII back to see if the L2 Latency works with this CPU........BladeRunner

I tried to pop in a PII 400 and the L2 latency works, but the 1/4 PCI divider does not work at all. Does anyone out there know of anyother software besides Sandra that can tell me what speed my PCI bus is at?

NiteOwl The thing about the L2 is very old!!!
    For PII/PIII - anything above 8 means disable
    For Celerons - you can set anything you want and it will works at that latency, but who tells ya that setting it to 10 will help ya??
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

NiteOwl The thing about the L2 is very old!!!
    For PII/PIII - anything above 8 means disable
    For Celerons - you can set anything you want and it will works at that latency, but who tells ya that setting it to 10 will help ya??
    Todor
    mollov@mail.bg

mollov19:
    I know that anything above 8 disables it! I am saying that the L2 latency settings just does not work period! If I set it to 1, WCPUID says it is still at 8. If I set it to 10, WCPUID says my L2 is not disable and I have 512 k of L2 cacahe with latency setting of 8. If you took the time to read through this thread, then you would know cuz I stated all of this in my first post.
    This is not a case where the L2 is disable if it is set higher than 8. This is a case where the mobo has a bug where the L2 latency settings does not work with a PIII. I popped in my PII 400 and I can set the L2 latency to 6 (and Sandra confirms that it is at 6). This is a know bug with the BF6. But my bigger concern is with the PCI divider. With my FSB at 120, all my PCI stuff is running at 40, which I am not all that comfortable with. Right now my system is not too stable at FSB 120 and I dunno if it is the processor or my other stuff (due to PCI bus of 40 MHz).

BladeRunner:
    I popped in my old PII 400 and the PCI divider still doesn't work, so I guess this isn't a bug like the L2 latency not working with PIII but works with a PII. Maybe my BF6 is just defective. Tell me how things work out with your PIII 700 (I don't think the L2 settings will work with a PIII)
    BTW, did you check out your manual under L2 latency settings? It says that a larger value = faster speed. Hmmmm ..... so a lower value = more stablilty???

Yeh it makes sense NiteOwl, that it's locked at 0 latency, It's probably not worth worrying about to much as you'll need it like that for any major overclocking.

I'm going to try some active cooling with a peltier in the not to distant future. and depending on the results I might make an alcohol based cooling system, after all I can always drink the experiment if it doesn't work ......BladeRunner

Thanks for the info. I did some tinkering and it seems that the 1/4 PCI divider only works at FSB 123 and above. This sucks cuz the manual never mentioned this at all and I thought the PCI divider selection on Softmenu III works independent of the FSB. Maybe this was the way Abit intended it to be or maybe it is another bug on the BF6. Dunno which.

It might be a built in saftey feature as 122mhz fsb will give 30.5 PCI. A bit too low and probably almost as dangerous to you HDD data as having it too high. Will it run stable at 123 1/4? .........BladeRunner

I dunno about this BF6. This thing isn't as stable as my P3BF. With my P3BF, I could run my PIII 500 @ 620 (2.3v) and my PII 400 @ 533 (2.2 V) with no peltier and no alpha and 560 (2.3v) with peltier and alpha. With my BF6, my PIII 500 isn't stable at 600 (2.3v) and my PII 400 isn't stable at 533 WITH ALPHA AND PELTIER (10 c in bios, 16 c in win98se)! I must say my first experience with an Abit product has left a sour taste in my mouth and I am gonna think about Asus and Soyo before I consider Abit again.
    BTW, I send Abit Taiwan an e-mail about the 1/4 PCI divider not working at 120 FSB and the L2 latency settings not working with a PIII about five days ago and they did not send my a reply.

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-29-99).]

[This message has been edited by NiteOwl (edited 12-29-99).]

Thread Information