PCI & AGP bus speeds
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCI & AGP bus speeds

Hybrid View

PCI & AGP bus speeds

I have a celeron 300a o/c to 450. It has been quite stable for some time now. I bumped the FSB up to 100 and set the multiplier appropriately. I never changed the settings related to the PCI or AGP bus speeds. I have read some of the message boards which say you have to scale back these settings. Granted, don't have any hardware that uses AGP but was wondering if the hardware I have plugged into the PCI slots will suffer. Also, do I have to worry about the hard disk or ISA slots??? Thanks!

I very much doubt your system would be running if you still had the 1/2 PCI divider setting as it would be 50mhz(ouch). The PCI bus want's to run as close to 33mhz as possible and AGP (if you have a card) as close to 66mhz. You can get it a bit higher with the right hardware.

You can see that everything is based around a 66mhz fsb so you just need to use the appropriate divider. At 100fsb 1/3 PCI and 2/3 AGP which your bios has probably done automaticaly.

Do have a look at the post "overclocking Disaster" by B.Kidd, on this forum as it is possible to get it wrong and damage things, always check.....BladeRunner

Damn double posting, don't you just hate it when that happens

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 12-27-99).]

Most motherboards automatically switch from 1/2 to 1/3 PCI devider (1/1 to 2/3 AGP) at around 95 MHz. 100 mhz @ 1/3 PCI is exactly what all your PCI stuff was built for.

------------------
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q
    MoooOooOoo damnit!!
    -SkrUboL
    www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte166q

Thread Information