how high is too high?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: how high is too high?

how high is too high?

some of you might be thinking overclocking, but this isn't. this is bout how hot my system should be at the max.

ok. my computer:

closed case
    BP6 with one cely 466@525 (in socket #1)
    Diamond v770 ultra @default speeds
    Adaptec 2940uw
    Qlogic qla2100 fibre channel adapter
    PCI network card
    USR 56k sportster ISA
    SoundBlaster 16
    12x scsi cd
    Philips Cdd 3610 burner
    IBM 9gig uw scsi 7200rpm (DCHS09W) <cooled with a 2 fan hdd cooler>
    IBM 36gig fibre channel 7200rpm (DRHL36L) not cooled with anything
    Cpu cooled by a 1.5 inch heatsink with fan and thermal paste
    Power supply fan blowing in
    case fan in bottom front blowing in

the system temp. reported by the bios after playing quake3 is:

CPU1 54.5
    CPU2 42 (no cpu)
    System 54

all in C.
    is this too hot for my system? how can i get it lower without opening the case?
    thanks

------------------
    Visit My WebPage!
    www.gosanjose.8m.com
    My AOL Instant Messanger screen name is:
    "gosanjose"

Ouch...SOme of those temps are Pretty High....You need to Get a better CPU Heatsink and fans. Why is opening the Case a Prob???

I tend to think anything over 36c is pushing it...I maybe alittle conservative...but I havent had any CPU's die on me yet.

[This message has been edited by CDS (edited 12-26-99).]
    "HEY! WHO are all you people and WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM?"

It would be nice to get it a bit lower, Both fans blowing in is not a good idea.

Always think about airflow and how heat rises. cool air in at the bottom, hot air out at the top and plenty of flow is all you really require.............BladeRunner

I agree with blade runner/ any way to add another exhaust fan??

------------------
    Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

Help me get this Boot outta my azz!!!!

I told you guys how hot a BP6 gets in another post. Its crazy. His temps aren't far from what mine are with the case closed up. The entire motherboard radiates heat if you place your hand near it. You need 3 or 4 fans to cool it if you leave the case sides in place. Wait until you run SETI all night using both processors, the temps skyrocket. I saw 159f system temp and 131f CPU temp using stock heatsinks and C400s@570. The little green chipset heatsink could use some thermal grease, too, or do it right and get an old 486CPU fan and screw it onto the green heatsink(strange how the 4 screws go perfectly into the heatsink holes, it was intended to accept a fan, is my guess). Anyhow, it'll take some work to keep the case panels attached and keep the heat from rising.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

hi guys! i just had a hole cut at the top of my case and i attached a medium sized fan at on top of it. it is now blowing out with the flow of the hot air. but my temps are still pretty hot:

cpu1 38.5 (i moved the cpu so that it now sits in front of the pwr. supp. fan)
    cpu2 50
    system 53.5

this still seems hot to me according to what you guys gave as guidlines. I can't open the case up because there is a lot of dust in here, also with the hdds (2) and fans (7), it gets pretty noisy. the green heatsink doesn't get hot, its just warm(like everyting else)and i'm not running duals yet.

oh yea, since i had to change my settings for the cpu(cuase i moved it from socket 1 to 2) i fooled around with them and i actually got my week 41 to post a 622MHz! too bad it froze a minute later (probably cause heat). oh well back to 525 (cause the scsi card doesn't like anything higher)

------------------
    Visit My WebPage!
    www.gosanjose.8m.com
    My AOL Instant Messanger screen name is:
    "gosanjose"

I know how you feel. I would love to keep the sides on my case, too. You haven't heard noisy until you get 4 or 5 case fans whirling around. Trust me on the green heatsink, when you run both processors that sucker gets HOT. A scary kind of HOT. I have a theory about it, too. Since using dual processors only gains a 30-40% increase in processing power using Win2K/NT, the other 70% of the little Celerys power is going somewhere else. My guess is it goes to the little green heatsink in the form of heat. Of course, I've had a few beers tonight so my reasoning is subject to debate.
    Anyhow, those 50C temps are still OK according to INTEL, you've got room to get them even hotter. Its still too hot as far as we're concerned, but nothing will be damaged by it. If you plan to stay overclocked you really need to get the temps down some more. The only inexpensive way is to add more fans. I admire your decision to run with a closed case, that is rare indeed.

[This message has been edited by TNproud2b (edited 12-27-99).]
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

I run my puter with the cover on. I have one 5" fan in the front sucking "cold" (thats 20C) air in to the case and one 6,5" fan in the top and the PSU fan blowing out hot air. The harddrives is located right in front of the 6,5" fan in the top, so the heat radiated from the harddrives goes right out of my case.

This leaves the idle temps at: CPU 15C and system 30C. at max load the temps rise to about CPU 35 and system 35.

Duckman

------------------
    ------------------------
    Visit my homepage:
    matrix.crosswinds.net/~sverresjo/duckman.htm

Thread Information