AT vs. ATX
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: AT vs. ATX

AT vs. ATX

Can someone give me the difference between AT and ATX? I have a 3 yr. old mb that I assume
    is an AT. The documentation says it's PC/AT compatible and it's dimensions are 22 x 22 cm. I want to buy a case for it but not sure what to get. I've seen some case that say they're AT/ATX but have an ATX power supply, and my board has only one power supply connector which I presume is AT. I've also seen power supplies listed as PS/2. Is that the same as AT?
    Any information would be much appreciatec.

I wasnt able to use my ATX board with my AT power supply.So its safe to say your not going to be able to do the oppposite(AT MoBo and ATX P/S.The connector is different.Since you say the MoBo you have is 3yrs old, I say get a ATX MoBo and stick with the ATX P/S.

You can tell AT/ATX by the way the expansion slots are angled. I'm pretty sure that AT boards have a vertical part where extra slots are. ATX boards have their expansion slotson the board itself. There are also differences in other things. They are not compatible with each other. I'm not going to elaborate on the differences because I can't visualize the differneces as of yet.

------------------
    www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored
    Are You Bored?

I'm not racist! I have a color TV!

www.crosswinds.net/~areyoubored

An ATX style motherboard has the parallel, serial ports, keyboard and mouse connectors soldered to the board. An AT board will have pin connectors for the parallel, mouse etc. You must supply the actual connectors for these boards. The power supply for an AT has 2 seperate plugs, they do look similar to the single plug of an ATX but they do not interchange. There are worlds of differences in the two boards. Stick with an ATX motherboard, its getting hard to find cases and power supplies for AT style boards.
    P4 2.8@4.0 dual R134A phase change chillers with 600watt thermoelectric array. Capable of -70F
    Nixie tube numeric display control panel and pneumatic motherboard tray.

Thread Information