overclocking my P2 300 on P6BX-A+ mainboard
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: overclocking my P2 300 on P6BX-A+ mainboard

Hybrid View

overclocking my P2 300 on P6BX-A+ mainboard

i don't see any jumpers for ocing my processor the only thing i have tried and works is bios ocing. i have it at 338. that is all the faster i can get it. How can i get it faster wiht reliablility and do it in hardware if necessary? is it possible to reach 400 and beyond with this chip?...HELP NEEDED!

This may not be a lot of help, but I have a PII 300 running at 366. I can get it to POST and boot up at 450, but it freezes when I play games (probably cooling issue, but its my second computer and 366 is just fine for what it does).

So, your PII 300 may be able to run with an 81-83 FSB, which would put it in the 366-375 range (you may need PC100 RAM in your system...if you have PC66 RAM, you may not make it past the 75 FSB, where it sounds like you're at now). The next step up with your motherboard will probably be a 100FSB, putting your CPU at 450, but you will need two things:

1) Better cooling
    2) Some luck

So, check you memory to see if you can get your FSB in the 80's...check your karma and cooling if you want to get it to 100.

The only way i know of to change my FSB is through the soft bios on startup. It has 66-68-75-83 that is it. Are u using a program to do it? I have tried some soft bios programs, i put in my main board. then it asks for the kind of ocing utility to use. it has like 100 different ones. so i don't know which one to use. Tell me where i can get the one u use if you r using one. Thanks

I should have been more clear..I'm not using the same kind of motherboard you are.

Mine is as Tyan Tsunami 1846s (not exactly the OC'ers choice..). It has FSB's that go into the 100's (133 I think is its max).

But if you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard and you can't get to 83FSB reliably, then it is a hardware limitation (memory speed, CPU speed, or cooling). I do not believe any kind of software will reliably get you to a higher speed.

Thread Information