Need a straight answer....
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Need a straight answer....

Need a straight answer....

Okay, I have asked this question quite often, but nobody seems to care.
    1. Will my BF6's FSB settings be useless if I move to a slocket?
    2. Will a coppermine on a slocket2 run on a BF6?
    3. If so, which coppermine should I get for the best overclocking results?
    4. If not, which pentium III should I get for the best overclocking results?
    I have PC100 Sdram that I know will run as high as 124. And I will be using an AGP graphics card. PLEASE let me know which I should use. Thanks.

------------------
    If it ain't broke, break it!
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

You probably haven't got an answer because either nobody knows or more likely cares. It may have escaped your notice but It's nearly Xmas and most people that have a life wont be here answering your questions .

Saddly that just leaves you and me then so I'll give you my ten cents for what it's worth.

Alot of it really depends what you've got now and how much you want to spend. the BF6 is an excellent mobo and the "soft menu III" is a great feature.

You can't really beat a Celeron for a bucks to bang ratio, (but cooling gets involved if you want to get high) If you can still dig one out a PIII 450 (SL37C or SL35D) were rumoured to be 600mhz cores remarked so getting to 600 is relatively easy.

I really don't want another Graphics card war of words here but for a price/performance/compatabilty ratio you can't really beat a V3 2000 O/C'd (I'm running a V3 2000 AGP O/C'd to 176mhz on a 143 fsb 100% stable)

This is just my opinion so just go with what you feel is right for your budget, what ever you choose it'll be out of date in less than six months.

................BladeRunner

Hope this helps

1. Your setting will not be useless for the most part. see 2.
    2. Yes a coppermine w/ slocket2 will run on an bf6, which will give you the new vltg settings. www.iwillusa.com/whats_new/SeeMore.asp?ID=9431
    3. According to www.overclockers.com the 500e looks like the best bet to OC provided your other comps. can handle the high bus speeds.
    4. Sorry, I have only researched the 500e w/ sltkt, because thats the direction I'm taking.

Argo

[This message has been edited by Argo (edited 12-21-99).]
    Hey hey hey Hee hee hee look at me I'm the flying pig?

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

Coppermine 500E is ment to overclock to 705 @150mhz fsb...thats not a good thing in your situation, I'd get the PIII 450 @ 600, cheap and you don't have to replace a lot of parts

for the video card use a 3D blaster Annhilolator pro. From Creative labs. Its about $300. with a 500MHz PIII systm, you can get about 48 fps in Q3A w/ all graphic effects at max, at 32bit color, at 1204X840

------------------
    No matter what a hooker tells you, there is absolutely no sex in the champagne room.
    Their website said "Requires Linux Distrubution based on kernel 2.4.2 or better," so I went and installed FreeBSD.

I have also heard great things about the 500E. That is the chip I'm going with. And if I'm not mistaken a 500E running at 150 fsb is 750 not 705. Go with the GeForce card and some HSDRAM and you might just make it to 800 with some good cooling. Good luck and let us know your results.

Thanks guys. That helps out alot. I think I'll go for the 500e on a slocket adapter. I have a good cooling system: watercooled peltier, keeps my cely 300a under 0c when idle. Thats at 533@2.3v So what am I likely to hit with the 500e? also, how much is and where can I find HSDRAM? and will it work on my bf6? I think I'm going with the Elsa Erazor x, and also getting revelator glasses, I've heard things and they sound entriguing! thanks again!

BTW, I got to thinking about it and since the 500e runs at 133 to begin with, my RAM won't cut it.... Also, since the bf6 only supports an AGP multiplier of 2/3..... I'm screwed.

I'm trying to break the 650 Mhz barrier, what chip could I use that won't stress my stuff too much? thanks!

------------------
    If it ain't broke, break it!

[This message has been edited by Swedishlf (edited 12-22-99).]
    Woohoo, 14th person to solve the 4D rubik's cube...ever! http://www.superliminal.com/cube/cube.htm

Watch me solve a regular cube in 24.2 seconds at www.rubiks.dk videolist, Daniel Hayes!

The 500e runs at 100mhz fsb that's one of the big reasons its so overclockable.

I'm gettin mine for Christmas.
    Than I'll work on the peltier.
    Hey hey hey Hee hee hee look at me I'm the flying pig?

K.I.T.H
    I love the Chicken Lady

Thread Information