Soyo IV motherboard
    Celeron 466@567 (583 wasn't stable?)
    Quantum 7200RPM ATA/66 drive on ATA/66 controller
    DVD Drive
    128 MB PC100 RAM
    Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra
    Sound Blaster Live-X Gamer Sound
    Cable Modem

Certain games (Thief and Asheron's Call, to be exact), look sweet and run great, except every 10 or 20 (or 30) seconds, the hard drive gives a little spin and the game stutters..just enough to screw me up. Other games (Delta Force II) do not experience this problem.

I've updated all BIOS's and drivers, moved the hard drive from ATA/66 to ATA/33, removed EVERYTHING from Startup and SysTray, disabled/enabled every setting I could find, turned off overclocking, upgraded to 256MB RAM, but the system still does a little stutter!

I do not have this symptom with my 300@366 Pentium II system. I should have PLENTY of horsepower for what I'm doing....

Anybody else experience this? Is there Celeron specific changes I should make? (disabling internal or external cache...??)

How does it (celeron) do when not OC'd?

Sounds like it may not be stable at 567 either..

Same thing when not overclocked...but are there other Celeron specific settings that I'm ignorant about?

For example, my SOYO BIOS told me to disable ECC Checking for better performance...are there other options I should be aware of?

If the game stutters and the disk spins, it would indicate to me that you need more ram (program doesnt fit into ram area and accesses virtual memory) but since you say you upgraded to 256MB, that shouldnt be a problem.

The next thing I would check is your video card drivers, I might try the reference drivers from Nvidia instead of the creative drivers.

------------------
    Mike
    www.monster-machines.com
    Mike
    Mechanical Engineer
    Dell Computer Corporation
    Server Development

I guessed memory at first as well (although 128 should do the trick). I thought it was swapping on me (much to my suprise), but 256 made NO difference.

So I thought it might be the integrated ATA/66 controller, but moving it over to the ATA/33 ports made no difference...

The only common denominator is the Quantum 7200 RPM drive...but if anything I figured that drive would haul a little ***... Maybe the drive is spinning down then up?

I will try those video drivers...

The only difference between the P2 and the Cell 466 (if it is slot 1) is the celry
    has on-chip L2 cache (128KB)... So there is nothing in your BIOS that should
    favor the P2 over the Celeron...You could have a bad Celeron, mabey something
    wrong with edge connector etc... Only way to know for sure is try another CPU..

Your hard drive is running at 40.5Mhz, when cpu at 567Mhz. Your hard drive clearly can't handle this speed. You could damage your hardrive if you continue at this speed.
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

Whoa...you lost me...

Even at 466 the machine exhibits this "stutter" problem.

What's this about damaging the hard drive by running at at 81Mhz FSB? That seems like a pretty low FSB to be causing damage to any component.

Please clarify.

Have you tried turning off all power saving functions for the harddrive? It is located in the screen saver section of the display setting page.

I think daveg meant when you use FSB 81 which normally has a divider 1/2 (i.e. PCI/FSB), your PCI bus will be operating @ 40.5Mhz, which is quite a lot of deviation from the optimal 33Mhz.

But maybe if your BIOS have different divider settings which you used to adjust PCI speed close to 33Mhz already, then it shouldn't matter.

Ahh.. I see.

I will double check my Power Settings..pretty sure I turned them all "Off".

Also, I will check my PCI divider..I know I modified my AGP divider while trying to get it to run at higher FSBs, but I do not remember modifying my PCI divider..although I think this SOYO board has some sort of setting to not let you kill the PCI bus...(this should be set to 1/2 for 66FSB and 1/3 for 100FSB, correct?)

Sorry. I missed the bit about it not working at defualt speed.

[This message has been edited by daveg (edited 12-21-99).]
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

I have the solution for you: I have experienced similar problems.

You should change your windows swap file settings.

Go to system setting (windows key + pause/break or system in control panel).
    Click on the performance tab, click on virtual memory. Select "let me select my own virtual memory settings", set min to 50, max to amount of ram you have, plus up to 50%. I wouldn't go past 190. Select ok. The system will reboot. No more hard drive flutters.

Scott
    dfilANPARTY ut 250gb a64 3200 @ 2.52 (280 ht x 9) 2 X 512 g.sKILL PC4000 gIGABYTE 6800 gt
    Antec 430 truepower 2 Maxtor ATA133 8 MB cache Acer 52X Lite-On 1633s DVD-RW TB Santa Cruz - FPS surround LS120 O/B NIC Antec 1080 case

Or try a permanent swap at 2,5 times your ram...it's supposed to be ideal that way...

------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

* OCN Hellspawn *
    ------------------
    I Thougth I Saw A Putty Cat...

ok yes ECC should be disabled.....and 2nd you should try re-installing the games BUT instead of doing typical install do a FULL install that way its running off the HD and not the cd-rom

------------------
    www.ralgroup.com
    www.ralgroup.com

Thread Information